New evidence on the pricing and performance of initial public offerings in Thailand, 1997-2008
This paper examines the pricing and performance of initial public offerings (IPOs) on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) from 1997 to 2008. Underpricing is calculated using headline underpricing and underpricing issuer loss, loss by market value, and loss by issuer price. The results show underpricing of 17.60%, 5.01%, 6.94%, 6.68% and 16.10%, respectively. This is significantly lower underpricing than documented in Thailand before the 1997 Asian financial crisis. Post-listing performance is assessed using monthly cumulative abnormal returns, buy-and-hold returns, and wealth relatives. The findings show that Thai IPOs generally outperform market benchmarks up to 24 months and underperform thereafter.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2004. "Initial Public Offerings in Australia 1994 to 1999, Recent Evidence of Underpricing and Underperformance," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 179-198, 05.
- da Silva Rosa, Ray & Velayuthen, Gerard & Walter, Terry, 2003. "The sharemarket performance of Australian venture capital-backed and non-venture capital-backed IPOs," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 197-218, April.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Australian IPO pricing in the short and long run," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1189-1210, August.
- D. E. Allen & N. J. Morkel-Kingsbury & W. Piboonthanakiat, 1999. "The long-run performance of initial public offerings in Thailand," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 215-232.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:11:y:2010:i:3:p:285-299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.