Split sovereign ratings and rating migrations in emerging economies
This paper presents evidence on sovereign rating heterogeneity in emerging economies. Split rated sovereigns are prone to be upgraded (downgraded) by the agency from whom a lower (higher) rating exists. The harsher the split ratings between two agencies, the greater the effect on probabilities of future rating changes. Split ratings among Moody's, S&P and Fitch are influential on their rating migrations. The rating dynamics of Capital Intelligence, Japan Credit Rating Agency and Japan Rating & Investment Information are affected by their rating disagreements with the larger agencies. Only Moody's upgrade decisions are influenced by rating differentials with the smaller agencies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Lili & Tan, Kim Song, 2009. "Subnational credit ratings : a comparative review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5013, The World Bank.
- Moon, Choon-Geol & Stotsky, Janet G, 1993. "Testing the Differences between the Determinants of Moody's and Standard & Poor's Ratings: An Application of Smooth Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 51-69, Jan.-Marc.
- Sy, Amadou N. R., 2002.
"Emerging market bond spreads and sovereign credit ratings: reconciling market views with economic fundamentals,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 380-408, December.
- Amadou N Sy, 2001. "Emerging Market Bond Spreads and Sovereign Credit Ratings; Reconciling Market Views with Economic Fundamentals," IMF Working Papers 01/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Patricio A Valenzuela & Kevin Cowan, 2007. "Sovereign Ceilings “Lite”? The Impact of Sovereign Ratings on Corporate Ratings in Emerging Market Economies," IMF Working Papers 07/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Andritzky, Jochen R. & Bannister, Geoffrey J. & Tamirisa, Natalia T., 2007. "The impact of macroeconomic announcements on emerging market bonds," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 20-37, March.
- Jochen R. Andritzky & Geoffrey J Bannister & Natalia T. Tamirisa, 2005. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Announcements on Emerging Market Bonds," IMF Working Papers 05/83, International Monetary Fund.
- Al-Sakka, Rasha & ap Gwilym, Owain, 2009. "Heterogeneity of sovereign rating migrations in emerging countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-165, June.
- Bissoondoyal-Bheenick, Emawtee, 2004. "Rating timing differences between the two leading agencies: Standard and Poor's and Moody's," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 361-378, September.
- Roberto Perrelli & Christian B. Mulder, 2001. "Foreign Currency Credit Ratings for Emerging Market Economies," IMF Working Papers 01/191, International Monetary Fund.
- Hu, Yen-Ting & Kiesel, Rudiger & Perraudin, William, 2002. "The estimation of transition matrices for sovereign credit ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1383-1406, July.
- Fuertes, Ana-Maria & Kalotychou, Elena, 2007. "On sovereign credit migration: A study of alternative estimators and rating dynamics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3448-3469, April.
- Elena Kalotychou & Ana-Maria Fuertes, 2006. "On Sovereign Credit Migration: A Study of Alternative Estimators and Rating Dynamics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 509, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Pajarinen, Mika, 2008. "Opacity of young businesses: Evidence from rating disagreements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1234-1241, July.
- Christian B. Mulder & Brieuc Monfort, 2000. "Using Credit Ratings for Capital Requirementson Lending to Emerging Market Economies; Possible Impact of a New Basel Accord," IMF Working Papers 00/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer & Kevin Cole, 1997. "Split ratings and the pricing of credit risk," Research Paper 9711, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Shin, Yoon S. & Moore, William T., 2003. "Explaining credit rating differences between Japanese and U.S. agencies," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 327-344.
- Livingston, Miles & Naranjo, Andy & Zhou, Lei, 2008. "Split bond ratings and rating migration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1613-1624, August.
- Miles Livingston & Andy Naranjo & Lei Zhou, 2007. "Asset Opaqueness and Split Bond Ratings," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 36(3), pages 49-62, 09.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1994. "The credit rating industry," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 1-26.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 37-53.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impacts of sovereign credit ratings," Research Paper 9608, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Wu, Eliza, 2008. "Sovereign credit ratings, capital flows and financial sector development in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 17-39, March.
- Brooks, Robert & Faff, Robert W. & Hillier, David & Hillier, Joseph, 2004. "The national market impact of sovereign rating changes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 233-250, January.
- Liu, Pu & Moore, William T, 1987. "The Impact of Split Bond Ratings on Risk Premia," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 71-85, February.
- Donald P. Morgan, 2002. "Rating Banks: Risk and Uncertainty in an Opaque Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 874-888, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)