Dual sourcing using capacity reservation and spot market: Optimal procurement policy and heuristic parameter determination
This contribution focuses on the cost-effective management of the combined use of two procurement options: the short-term option is given by a spot market with random price, whereas the long-term alternative is characterized by a multi period capacity reservation contract with fixed purchase price and reservation level. A reservation cost, proportional with the reservation level, has to be paid for the option of receiving any amount per period up to the reservation level. A long-term decision has to be made regarding the reserved capacity level, and then it has to be decided – period by period – which quantities to procure from the two sources. Considering the multi-period problem with stochastic demand and spot price, the structure of the optimal combined purchasing policy is derived using stochastic dynamic programming. Exploiting these structural properties, an advanced heuristic is developed to determine the respective policy parameters. This heuristic is compared with two rolling-horizon approaches which use the one-period and two-period optimal solution. A comprehensive numerical study reveals that the approaches based on one-period and two-period solutions have considerable drawbacks, while the advanced heuristic performs very well compared to the optimal solution. Finally, by exploiting our numerical results we give some insights into the system’s behavior under problem parameter variations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inderfurth, Karl & Kelle, Peter, 2011. "Capacity reservation under spot market price uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 272-279, September.
- Wu, D. J. & Kleindorfer, P. R. & Zhang, Jin E., 2002. "Optimal bidding and contracting strategies for capital-intensive goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 657-676, March.
- Vukina Tomislav & Shin Changmok & Zheng Xiaoyong, 2009. "Complementarity among Alternative Procurement Arrangements in the Pork Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Xu, Ningxiong, 2011. "Myopic optimal policy for a multi-period, two-delivery-lead-times, stochastic inventory problem with minimum cumulative commitment and capacity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 719-727, October.
- Arnold, Jan & Minner, Stefan, 2011. "Financial and operational instruments for commodity procurement in quantity competition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 96-106, May.
- Paul R. Kleindorfer & D. J. Wu, 2003. "Integrating Long- and Short-Term Contracting via Business-to-Business Exchanges for Capital-Intensive Industries," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(11), pages 1597-1615, November.
- Adilov, Nodir, 2012. "Strategic use of forward contracts and capacity constraints," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 164-173.
- repec:spr:compst:v:73:y:2011:i:1:p:109-137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arnold, Jan & Minner, Stefan & Eidam, Björn, 2009. "Raw material procurement with fluctuating prices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 353-364, October.
- Mordechai Henig & Yigal Gerchak & Ricardo Ernst & David F. Pyke, 1997. "An Inventory Model Embedded in Designing a Supply Contract," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 184-189, February.
- Seifert, Ralf W. & Thonemann, Ulrich W. & Hausman, Warren H., 2004. "Optimal procurement strategies for online spot markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 781-799, February.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1388 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gülpınar, N. & Oliveira, F.S., 2012. "Robust trading in spot and forward oligopolistic markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 35-45.
- Geman, Hélyette, 2005. "From measure changes to time changes in asset pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2701-2722, November.
- Minner, Stefan, 2003. "Multiple-supplier inventory models in supply chain management: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 265-279, January.
- Thomas, Douglas J. & Tyworth, John E., 2006. "Pooling lead-time risk by order splitting: A critical review," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 245-257, July.
- X. Guo & P. Kaminsky & P. Tomecek & M. Yuen, 2011. "Optimal spot market inventory strategies in the presence of cost and price risk," Mathematical Methods of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 73(1), pages 109-137, February.
- Gavirneni, Srinagesh & Bollapragada, Srinivas & E. Morton, Thomas, 1998. "Periodic review stochastic inventory problem with forecast updates: Worst-case bounds for the myopic solution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 381-392, December.
- Bardia Kamrad & Akhtar Siddique, 2004. "Supply Contracts, Profit Sharing, Switching, and Reaction Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 64-82, January.
- Li, Shanling & Murat, Alper & Huang, Wanzhen, 2009. "Selection of contract suppliers under price and demand uncertainty in a dynamic market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 830-847, November.
- Benth, Fred Espen & Kiesel, Rüdiger & Nazarova, Anna, 2012. "A critical empirical study of three electricity spot price models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1589-1616.
- Hazra, Jishnu & Mahadevan, B., 2009. "A procurement model using capacity reservation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 303-316, February.
- Jewel S. Bonser & S. David Wu, 2001. "Procurement Planning to Maintain Both Short-Term Adaptiveness and Long-Term Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(6), pages 769-786, June.
- Spinler, Stefan & Huchzermeier, Arnd, 2006. "The valuation of options on capacity with cost and demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(3), pages 915-934, June.
- Woo, Chi-Keung & Horowitz, Ira & Olson, Arne & Horii, Brian & Baskette, Carmen, 2006. "Efficient frontiers for electricity procurement by an LDC with multiple purchase options," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 70-80, January.
- Serel, Dogan A. & Dada, Maqbool & Moskowitz, Herbert, 2001. "Sourcing decisions with capacity reservation contracts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(3), pages 635-648, June.
- Apostolos Burnetas & Peter Ritchken, 2005. "Option Pricing with Downward-Sloping Demand Curves: The Case of Supply Chain Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 566-580, April.
- Tapiero, Charles S., 2008. "Orders and inventory commodities with price and demand uncertainty in complete markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 12-18, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:2:p:298-309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.