Two heuristic solution concepts for the vehicle selection problem in line haul transports
In this article we will develop a mathematical model for a cost-efficient selection of vehicles with varying capacities for line haul transports with leasing options. For this integer optimization problem, which is a variant of the generalized assignment problem known as NP-hard, we will compare two heuristic solution concepts and try to answer the question in which cases a user should choose an exact or approximate solution concept depending on different data instances of the problem.
Volume (Year): 217 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alumur, Sibel & Kara, Bahar Y., 2008. "Network hub location problems: The state of the art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 1-21, October.
- Cunha, Claudio B. & Silva, Marcos Roberto, 2007. "A genetic algorithm for the problem of configuring a hub-and-spoke network for a LTL trucking company in Brazil," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 747-758, June.
- Laguna, Manuel & Kelly, James P. & Gonzalez-Velarde, JoseLuis & Glover, Fred, 1995. "Tabu search for the multilevel generalized assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 176-189, April.
- Liu, Jiyin & Li, Chung-Lun & Chan, Chun-Yan, 2003. "Mixed truck delivery systems with both hub-and-spoke and direct shipment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 325-339, July.
- van de Klundert, Joris & Otten, Bernhard, 2011. "Improving LTL truck load utilization on line," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 336-343, April.
- Zapfel, Gunther & Wasner, Michael, 2002. "Planning and optimization of hub-and-spoke transportation networks of cooperative third-party logistics providers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 207-220, July.
- Woodcock, Andrew J. & Wilson, John M., 2010. "A hybrid tabu search/branch & bound approach to solving the generalized assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 566-578, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:2:p:448-458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.