Two heuristic solution concepts for the vehicle selection problem in line haul transports
In this article we will develop a mathematical model for a cost-efficient selection of vehicles with varying capacities for line haul transports with leasing options. For this integer optimization problem, which is a variant of the generalized assignment problem known as NP-hard, we will compare two heuristic solution concepts and try to answer the question in which cases a user should choose an exact or approximate solution concept depending on different data instances of the problem.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 217 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cunha, Claudio B. & Silva, Marcos Roberto, 2007. "A genetic algorithm for the problem of configuring a hub-and-spoke network for a LTL trucking company in Brazil," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 747-758, June.
- Liu, Jiyin & Li, Chung-Lun & Chan, Chun-Yan, 2003. "Mixed truck delivery systems with both hub-and-spoke and direct shipment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 325-339, July.
- Zapfel, Gunther & Wasner, Michael, 2002. "Planning and optimization of hub-and-spoke transportation networks of cooperative third-party logistics providers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 207-220, July.
- Woodcock, Andrew J. & Wilson, John M., 2010. "A hybrid tabu search/branch & bound approach to solving the generalized assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 566-578, December.
- van de Klundert, Joris & Otten, Bernhard, 2011. "Improving LTL truck load utilization on line," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 336-343, April.
- Laguna, Manuel & Kelly, James P. & Gonzalez-Velarde, JoseLuis & Glover, Fred, 1995. "Tabu search for the multilevel generalized assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 176-189, April.
- Alumur, Sibel & Kara, Bahar Y., 2008. "Network hub location problems: The state of the art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 1-21, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:2:p:448-458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.