Gas storage valuation applying numerically constructed recombining trees
The liberalization of European natural gas markets forces market participants to base their decisions on market prices. For owners and operators of natural gas storage facilities it is therefore necessary to take market prices into account for their decisions. In this framework this paper provides a new approach for the valuation of natural gas storage facilities. Using stochastic dynamic programming on multinomial recombining trees, the optimal storage strategy and value are determined. For this we (i) estimate the deterministic and random impacts on natural gas prices, (ii) simulate gas prices considering the results of the first step, (iii) construct numerically the recombining tree using the simulation results, (iv) determine the optimal storage strategy and value. Besides the determination of the optimal storage value and operation schedule the value quantiles are calculated. Via the quantiles relevant risk measures like value at risk and conditional value at risk are determined.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Bardou & Sandrine Bouthemy & Gilles Pages, 2009. "Optimal Quantization for the Pricing of Swing Options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 183-217.
- Nicola Secomandi, 2010. "Optimal Commodity Trading with a Capacitated Storage Asset," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(3), pages 449-467, March.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Hahn, Warren J. & Dyer, James S., 2008. "Discrete time modeling of mean-reverting stochastic processes for real option valuation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(2), pages 534-548, January.
- Bjerksund, Petter & Stensland, Gunnar & Vagstad, Frank, 2008.
"Gas Storage Valuation: Price Modelling v. Optimization Methods,"
2008/20, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Petter Bjerksund & Gunnar Stensland & Frank Vagstad, 2011. "Gas Storage Valuation: Price Modelling v. Optimization Methods," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 203-228.
- Rene Carmona & Michael Ludkovski, 2010. "Valuation of energy storage: an optimal switching approach," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 359-374.
- Patrick Jaillet & Ehud I. Ronn & Stathis Tompaidis, 2004. "Valuation of Commodity-Based Swing Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(7), pages 909-921, July.
- Byers, Joe Wayne, 2006. "Commodity storage valuation: A linear optimization based on traded instruments," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 275-287, May.
- Schlüter, Stephan & Davison, Matt, 2010. "Pricing an European gas storage facility using a continuous-time spot price model with GARCH diffusion," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 02/2010, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Kjarstad, Jan & Johnsson, F., 2007. "Prospects of the European gas market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 869-888, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:216:y:2012:i:1:p:178-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.