Pareto-improving congestion pricing on multimodal transportation networks
This paper determines a Pareto-improving pricing scheme for alleviating congestion in a multimodal transportation network that includes, e.g., transit services, high-occupancy/toll and general-purpose lanes. In this setting, a pricing scheme refers to a strategy for tolling roads and highways as well as adjusting fares on various transit lines. In addition, such a scheme is Pareto-improving if it maximizes the social benefit without increasing travel-related expense of stakeholders that include individual road users, transit passengers, transit operators, transportation authorities, etc. The user equilibrium and system optimum problem in the multimodal transportation network are discussed along with a model for determining Pareto-improving tolls. The latter is formulated as a mathematical program with complementarity constraints. Two numerical examples are presented to illustrate results from various models.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nguyen, S. & Pallottino, S., 1988. "Equilibrium traffic assignment for large scale transit networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 176-186, November.
- Spiess, Heinz & Florian, Michael, 1989. "Optimal strategies: A new assignment model for transit networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 83-102, April.
- Daganzo, Carlos F., 1995. "A pareto optimum congestion reduction scheme," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 139-154, April.
- Lawphongpanich, Siriphong & Hearn, Donald W., 1984. "Simplical decomposition of the asymmetric traffic assignment problem," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 123-133, April.
- Small, Kenneth A & Rosen, Harvey S, 1981.
"Applied Welfare Economics with Discrete Choice Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 105-130, January.
- Harvey S. Rosen & Kenneth A. Small, 1979. "Applied Welfare Economics with Discrete Choice Models," NBER Working Papers 0319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cepeda, M. & Cominetti, R. & Florian, M., 2006. "A frequency-based assignment model for congested transit networks with strict capacity constraints: characterization and computation of equilibria," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 437-459, July.
- Maher, Mike & Stewart, Kathryn & Rosa, Andrea, 2005. "Stochastic social optimum traffic assignment," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 753-767, September.
- Lam, W. H. K. & Gao, Z. Y. & Chan, K. S. & Yang, H., 1999. "A stochastic user equilibrium assignment model for congested transit networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 351-368, June.
- Yang Liu & Xiaolei Guo & Hai Yang, 2009. "Pareto-improving and revenue-neutral congestion pricing schemes in two-mode traffic networks," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 123-140, April.
- Ying, Jiang Qian & Yang, Hai, 2005. "Sensitivity analysis of stochastic user equilibrium flows in a bi-modal network with application to optimal pricing," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 769-795, November.
- S. Jaensirisak & M. Wardman & A. D. May, 2005. "Explaining Variations in Public Acceptability of Road Pricing Schemes," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(2), pages 127-154, May.
- Hamdouch, Younes & Florian, Michael & Hearn, Donald W. & Lawphongpanich, Siriphong, 2007. "Congestion pricing for multi-modal transportation systems," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 275-291, March.
- Gentile, Guido & Papola, Natale & Persia, Luca, 2005. "Advanced pricing and rationing policies for large scale multimodal networks," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 612-631. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:210:y:2011:i:3:p:660-669. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.