Revenue management approach to stochastic capacity allocation problem
To formulate stochastic capacity allocation problems in a manufacturing system, the concept and techniques of revenue management is applied in this research. It is assumed the production capacity is stochastic and hence its exact size cannot be forecasted in advance, at the time of planning. There are two classes of "frequent" and "occasional" customers demanding this capacity. The price rate as well as the penalty for order cancellation caused by overbooking is different for each class. The model is developed mathematically and we propose an analytical solution method. The properties of the optimal solution as well as the behavior of objective function are also analyzed. The objective function is not concave, in general. However, we prove it is a unimodal function and by taking advantage of this property, the optimal solution is determined.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dai, Yue & Chao, Xiuli & Fang, Shu-Cherng & Nuttle, Henry L.W., 2005. "Pricing in revenue management for multiple firms competing for customers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Tamer Boyaci & Saibal Ray, 2003. "Product Differentiation and Capacity Cost Interaction in Time and Price Sensitive Markets," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 18-36, May.
- Lode Li, 1992. "The Role of Inventory in Delivery-Time Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 182-197, February.
- Barut, M. & Sridharan, V, 2004. "Design and evaluation of a dynamic capacity apportionment procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 112-133, May.
- Izak Duenyas & Wallace J. Hopp, 1995. "Quoting Customer Lead Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 43-57, January.
- Pinar Keskinocak & R. Ravi & Sridhar Tayur, 2001. "Scheduling and Reliable Lead-Time Quotation for Orders with Availability Intervals and Lead-Time Sensitive Revenues," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 264-279, February.
- Bertrand, J. W. M. & Sridharan, V., 2001. "A study of simple rules for subcontracting in make-to-order manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(3), pages 509-531, February.
- Izak Duenyas, 1995. "Single Facility Due Date Setting with Multiple Customer Classes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 608-619, April.
- Kevin Pak, 2002. "overview of OR techniques for airline revenue management," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(4), pages 479-495.
- Feng, Youyi & Xiao, Baichun, 2006. "Integration of pricing and capacity allocation for perishable products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Scott Carr & William Lovejoy, 2000. "The Inverse Newsvendor Problem: Choosing an Optimal Demand Portfolio for Capacitated Resources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 912-927, July.
- Armony, Mor & Haviv, Moshe, 2003. "Price and delay competition between two service providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 32-50, May.
- Ray, Saibal & Jewkes, E. M., 2004. "Customer lead time management when both demand and price are lead time sensitive," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 769-781, March.
- Akkan, Can, 1997. "Finite-capacity scheduling-based planning for revenue-based capacity management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 170-179, July.
- Lode Li & Yew Sing Lee, 1994. "Pricing and Delivery-Time Performance in a Competitive Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(5), pages 633-646, May.
- Sridharan, Sri V., 1998. "Managing capacity in tightly constrained systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 601-610, September.
- Francis de Véricourt & Fikri Karaesmen & Yves Dallery, 2002. "Optimal Stock Allocation for a Capacitated Supply System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(11), pages 1486-1501, November.
- Albert Y. Ha, 1997. "Inventory Rationing in a Make-to-Stock Production System with Several Demand Classes and Lost Sales," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(8), pages 1093-1103, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:442-459. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.