Revenue management approach to stochastic capacity allocation problem
To formulate stochastic capacity allocation problems in a manufacturing system, the concept and techniques of revenue management is applied in this research. It is assumed the production capacity is stochastic and hence its exact size cannot be forecasted in advance, at the time of planning. There are two classes of "frequent" and "occasional" customers demanding this capacity. The price rate as well as the penalty for order cancellation caused by overbooking is different for each class. The model is developed mathematically and we propose an analytical solution method. The properties of the optimal solution as well as the behavior of objective function are also analyzed. The objective function is not concave, in general. However, we prove it is a unimodal function and by taking advantage of this property, the optimal solution is determined.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis de Véricourt & Fikri Karaesmen & Yves Dallery, 2002. "Optimal Stock Allocation for a Capacitated Supply System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(11), pages 1486-1501, November.
- Feng, Youyi & Xiao, Baichun, 2006. "Integration of pricing and capacity allocation for perishable products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Lode Li, 1992. "The Role of Inventory in Delivery-Time Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 182-197, February.
- Izak Duenyas, 1995. "Single Facility Due Date Setting with Multiple Customer Classes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 608-619, April.
- Barut, M. & Sridharan, V, 2004. "Design and evaluation of a dynamic capacity apportionment procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 112-133, May.
- Scott Carr & William Lovejoy, 2000. "The Inverse Newsvendor Problem: Choosing an Optimal Demand Portfolio for Capacitated Resources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 912-927, July.
- Tamer Boyaci & Saibal Ray, 2003. "Product Differentiation and Capacity Cost Interaction in Time and Price Sensitive Markets," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 18-36, May.
- Izak Duenyas & Wallace J. Hopp, 1995. "Quoting Customer Lead Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 43-57, January.
- Lode Li & Yew Sing Lee, 1994. "Pricing and Delivery-Time Performance in a Competitive Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(5), pages 633-646, May.
- Bertrand, J. W. M. & Sridharan, V., 2001. "A study of simple rules for subcontracting in make-to-order manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(3), pages 509-531, February.
- Armony, Mor & Haviv, Moshe, 2003. "Price and delay competition between two service providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 32-50, May.
- Akkan, Can, 1997. "Finite-capacity scheduling-based planning for revenue-based capacity management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 170-179, July.
- Albert Y. Ha, 1997. "Inventory Rationing in a Make-to-Stock Production System with Several Demand Classes and Lost Sales," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(8), pages 1093-1103, August.
- Dai, Yue & Chao, Xiuli & Fang, Shu-Cherng & Nuttle, Henry L.W., 2005. "Pricing in revenue management for multiple firms competing for customers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Ray, Saibal & Jewkes, E. M., 2004. "Customer lead time management when both demand and price are lead time sensitive," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 769-781, March.
- Sridharan, Sri V., 1998. "Managing capacity in tightly constrained systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 601-610, September.
- Pinar Keskinocak & R. Ravi & Sridhar Tayur, 2001. "Scheduling and Reliable Lead-Time Quotation for Orders with Availability Intervals and Lead-Time Sensitive Revenues," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 264-279, February.
- Kevin Pak, 2002. "overview of OR techniques for airline revenue management," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(4), pages 479-495.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:442-459. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.