The competing risks of acquiring and being acquired: Evidence from Colombia's financial sector
This paper studies the determinants of the probability of participating in a process of merging or acquisition for financial institutions in Colombia. We use survival analysis techniques and competing risks models to estimate the probability of participating in such processes as an acquiring or acquired firm. Using an especially rich database containing financial information of Colombian banks for the period 1990-2007, we find that both macroeconomic and microeconomic variables are important determinants of this probability. However, there are differential effects for the acquiring firm and the acquired firm. Particularly, while firm size and solvency are significant determinants of the probability of being an acquiring firm, efficiency is an important determinant of the probability of being acquired. Also, the concentration index, which plays no role for acquiring firms, plays an important role in the probability of being acquired.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Landshuter Str. 4, 93047 Regensburg|
Phone: +49-(0)941-943 54 10
Fax: +49-(0)941-943 54 27
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/621171
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JosÃ© E. GÃ³mez-Gonzalez & Nicholas M. Kiefer, 2009.
"Bank Failure: Evidence From The Colombian Financial Crisis,"
The International Journal of Business and Finance Research,
The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 3(2), pages 15-31.
- Gomez-Gonzalez, Jose E. & Kiefer, Nicholas M., 2006. "Bank Failure: Evidence from the Colombia Financial Crisis," Working Papers 06-12, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Andrés Felipe García Suaza & José Eduardo Gómez Gónzalez, 2009.
"Determinantes de las fusiones y adquisiciones en el sistema financiero colombiano. 1990-2007,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005294, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés Garcia & José Gomez, 2009. "Determinantes de las fusiones y adquisiciones en el sistema financiero colombiano. 1990-2007," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO, May.
- Andrés Felipe García Suaza & .José Eduardo Gómez González, . "Determinantes de las fusiones y adquisiciones en el sistema financiero colombiano. 1990-2007," Borradores de Economia 550, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carree, Martin A., 2003. "A hazard rate analysis of Russian commercial banks in the period 1994-1997," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 255-269, September.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Rhoades, Stephen A, 1987. "Acquisition Targets and Motives: The Case of the Banking Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 67-74, February.
- Diaz, Belen Diaz & Olalla, Myriam Garcia & Azofra, Sergio Sanfilippo, 2004. "Bank acquisitions and performance: evidence from a panel of European credit entities," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 377-404.
- M. Meschi, 1997. "Analytical Perspectives on Mergers and Acquisitions: A Survey," CIBS Research Papers in International Business 5-97, London South Bank University CIBS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecosys:v:34:y:2010:i:4:p:437-449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.