Bayesian model averaging in the instrumental variable regression model
This paper considers the instrumental variable regression model when there is uncertainty about the set of instruments, exogeneity restrictions, the validity of identifying restrictions and the set of exogenous regressors. This uncertainty can result in a huge number of models. To avoid statistical problems associated with standard model selection procedures, we develop a reversible jump Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithm that allows us to do Bayesian model averaging. The algorithm is very flexible and can be easily adapted to analyze any of the different priors that have been proposed in the Bayesian instrumental variables literature. We show how to calculate the probability of any relevant restriction such as exogeneity or over-identification. We illustrate our methods in a returns-to-schooling application.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Koop & Roberto León-González & Rodney W. Strachan, 2010.
"Efficient Posterior Simulation for Cointegrated Models with Priors on the Cointegration Space,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 224-242, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Gibbs sampling in a cointegrated model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00187, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gary Koop & Roberto León-González & Rodney W. Strachan, 2005. "Efficient Posterior Simulation for Cointegrated Models with Priors On the Cointegration Space," Discussion Papers in Economics 05/13, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Apr 2006.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998.
"Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging,"
9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F J Steel, 1998. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 26, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F J Steel, 1998. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Frank Kleibergen & Herman K. van Dijk, 1998.
"Bayesian Simultaneous Equations Analysis using Reduced Rank Structures,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
98-025/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kleibergen, Frank & van Dijk, Herman K., 1998. "Bayesian Simultaneous Equations Analysis Using Reduced Rank Structures," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 701-743, December.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & van Dijk, H.K., 1997. "Bayesian Simultaneous Equations Analysis using Reduced Rank Structures," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9714/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Li, Mingliang & Tobias, Justin, 2004.
"Returns to Schooling and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Union of Two Literatures,"
Staff General Research Papers
12011, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Justin L. Tobias & Mingliang Li, 2004. "Returns to Schooling and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Union of Two Literatures," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 153-180, 04.
- ZELLNER, Arnold & BAUWENS, Luc & VAN DIJK, Herman K., .
"Bayesian specification analysis and estimation of simultaneous equation models using Monte Carlo methods,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
796, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zellner, Arnold & Bauwens, Luc & Van Dijk, Herman K., 1988. "Bayesian specification analysis and estimation of simultaneous equation models using Monte Carlo methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 39-72.
- ZELLNER, A. & BAUWENS, Luc & VAN DIJK, H., 1987. "Bayesian specification analysis and estimation of simultaneous equation models using Monte Carlo methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1987056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zellner, A. & Bauwnes, L. & Van Dijk, H.K., 1988. "Bayesian Specification Analysis And Estimation Of Simultaneous Equation Models Using Monte Carlo Methods," Papers m8804, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1976. "Bayesian Limited Information Analysis of the Simultaneous Equations Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 1045-75, September.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1983. "Bayesian analysis of simultaneous equation systems," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 517-598 Elsevier.
- Ethan Cohen-Cole & Steven N. Durlauf & Jeffrey Fagan & Daniel Nagin, 2007. "Model uncertainty and the deterrent effect of capital punishment," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU07-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Cragg, John G. & Donald, Stephen G., 1993. "Testing Identifiability and Specification in Instrumental Variable Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 222-240, April.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- McKinley L. Blackburn & David Neumark, 1993.
"Are OLS Estimates of the Return to Schooling Biased Downward? Another Look,"
NBER Working Papers
4259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blackburn, McKinley L & Neumark, David, 1995. "Are OLS Estimates of the Return to Schooling Biased Downward? Another Look," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 217-30, May.
- Strachan, Rodney W. & Inder, Brett, 2004. "Bayesian analysis of the error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 307-325, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:171:y:2012:i:2:p:237-250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.