In the context of the stable roommates problem, this paper provides an alternative characterization of acyclic instances with n roommates; one that requires checking n−1 fewer equations than symmetry of the utility functions (Rodrigues-Neto, 2007). We introduce the concepts of agent-cycles and cycle equations and prove that an instance is acyclic if and only if there exists a representation of preferences such that all cycle equations of agent-cycles of length 3 containing an agent i hold. In this case, there is a unique stable matching.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:119:y:2004:i:2:p:457-488 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tayfun Sönmez & Alvin E. Roth & M. Utku Ünver, 2007.
"Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in Markets with Compatibility-Based Preferences,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 828-851, June.
- Ãœnver, M. Utku & SÃ¶nmez, Tayfun & Roth, Alvin, 2007. "Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Markets with Compatibility-Based Preferences," Scholarly Articles 2562809, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:119:y:2004:i:2:p:457-488 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004.
"Pairwise Kidney Exchange,"
Game Theory and Information
0408001, EconWPA, revised 16 Feb 2005.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 620, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000350, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," NBER Working Papers 10698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2003.
Game Theory and Information
- José Álvaro Rodrigues Neto, 2006.
"Representing Roomates' Preferences with Symmetric Utilities,"
Working Papers Series
105, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Alvaro Rodrigues-Neto, Jose, 2007. "Representing roommates' preferences with symmetric utilities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 545-550, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:118:y:2013:i:2:p:304-306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.