Loan interest rates under risk-based capital requirements: The impact of banking market structure
This paper analyzes how the effects of the introduction of risk-based bank capital requirements on bank loan rates depend on the market structure of the banking industry. We show that, when granting loans to borrowers under Basel II or Basel III capital requirements, banks with market power internalize an additional cost, in terms of regulatory capital, associated with the increase of borrowers' risk of default. As a result, the intermediation margin on bank loans increases with the changeover from non-risk to risk-based capital requirements, thereby making lending more expensive.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorge, José, 2009. "Why do bank loans react with a delay to shifts in interest rates? A bank capital explanation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 799-806, September.
- Bolton, Patrick & Freixas, Xavier, 2001.
"Corporate Finance and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2006. "Corporate Finance and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 829-870.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000. "Corporate finance and the monetary transmission mechanism," Economics Working Papers 511, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Inês Drumond, 2008.
"Bank Capital Requirements, Business Cycle Fluctuations and the Basel Accords: A Synthesis,"
FEP Working Papers
277, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Ines Drumond, 2009. "Bank Capital Requirements, Business Cycle Fluctuations And The Basel Accords: A Synthesis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(5), pages 798-830, December.
- Hülsewig, Oliver & Mayer, Eric & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2009. "Bank behavior, incomplete interest rate pass-through, and the cost channel of monetary policy transmission," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1310-1327, November.
- Andrea Gerali & Stefano Neri & Luca Sessa & Federico M. Signoretti, 2010.
"Credit and banking in a DSGE model of the euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
740, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Andrea Gerali & Stefano Neri & Luca Sessa & Federico M. Signoretti, 2010. "Credit and Banking in a DSGE Model of the Euro Area," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(s1), pages 107-141, 09.
- G. B. Gorton & Ping He, 2008.
"Bank Credit Cycles,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(4), pages 1181-1214.
- Jiménez, Gabriel & Ongena, Steven & Peydró, José Luis & Saurina, Jesús, 2007.
"Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy: What Do Twenty-Three Million Bank Loans Say About the Effects of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6514, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jiminez, G. & Ongena, S. & Saurina, J., 2007. "Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy : What do Twenty-three Million Bank Loans Say about the Effects of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk?," Discussion Paper 2007-75, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 1998.
"An Adverse-Selection Model of Bank Asset and Liability Management with Implications for the Transmission of Monetary Policy,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 466-486, Autumn.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 1995. "An Adverse Selection Model of Bank Asset and Liability Management with Implications for the Transmission of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 5217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hannan, Timothy H., 1991. "Bank commercial loan markets and the role of market structure: evidence from surveys of commercial lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 133-149, February.
- Güntner, Jochen H.F., 2011.
"Competition among banks and the pass-through of monetary policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1891-1901, July.
- Jochen H. F. Güntner, 2009. "Competition among banks and the pass-through of monetary policy," FEMM Working Papers 09035, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Liu, Guangling (Dave) & Seeiso, Nkhahle E., 2012. "Basel II procyclicality: The case of South Africa," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 848-857.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
- Johann Scharler, 2006.
"Do Bank-Based Financial Systems Reduce Macroeconomic Volatility by Smoothing Interest Rates?,"
117, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Scharler, Johann, 2008. "Do bank-based financial systems reduce macroeconomic volatility by smoothing interest rates?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1207-1221, September.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2001.
"Bank Concentration and Retail Interest Rates,"
Working Paper Series
0072, European Central Bank.
- Patrick Slovik & Boris Cournède, 2011. "Macroeconomic Impact of Basel III," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 844, OECD Publishing.
- Hancock, Diana & Laing, Andrew J. & Wilcox, James A., 1995. "Bank capital shocks: Dynamic effects on securities, loans, and capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 661-677, June.
- Marrouch, Walid & Turk-Ariss, Rima, 2012. "Bank pricing under oligopsony-oligopoly : Evidence from 103 developing countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Federico S. Mandelman, 2011. "Business Cycles and the Role of Imperfect Competition in the Banking System," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 103-133, 04.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 1995. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Bertrand Equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 5(1), pages 19-32, January.
- Berger, Allen N, 1995. "The Profit-Structure Relationship in Banking--Tests of Market-Power and Efficient-Structure Hypotheses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 404-31, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:32:y:2013:i:c:p:602-607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.