Optimal trade execution: A mean quadratic variation approach
We propose the use of a mean quadratic variation criteria to determine an optimal trading strategy in the presence of price impact. We derive the Hamilton Jacobi Bellman (HJB) Partial Differential Equation (PDE) for the optimal strategy, assuming the underlying asset follows Geometric Brownian Motion (GBM) or Arithmetic Brownian Motion (ABM). The exact solution of the ABM formulation is in fact identical to the static (price-independent) approximate solution for the mean–variance objective function in Almgren and Chriss (2000). The optimal trading strategy in the GBM case is in general a function of the asset price. The static strategy determined in the ABM formulation turns out to be an excellent approximation for the GBM case, even when volatility is large.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Almgren, 2003. "Optimal execution with nonlinear impact functions and trading-enhanced risk," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 1-18.
- Chiarella, C. & Iori, G. & Perello, J., 2008.
"The Impact of Heterogeneous Trading Rules on the Limit Order Book and Order Flows,"
08/04, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Carl Chiarella & Giulia Iori & Josep Perello, 2007. "The Impact of Heterogeneous Trading Rules on the Limit Order Book and Order Flows," Papers 0711.3581, arXiv.org.
- Carl Chiarella & Giulia Iori, 2005. "The Impact of Heterogeneous Trading Rules on the Limit Order Book and Order Flows," Research Paper Series 152, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Schied, Alexander & Schoeneborn, Torsten, 2008.
"Risk aversion and the dynamics of optimal liquidation strategies in illiquid markets,"
7105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Schied & Torsten Schöneborn, 2009. "Risk aversion and the dynamics of optimal liquidation strategies in illiquid markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 181-204, April.
- Suleyman Basak & Georgy Chabakauri, 2010.
"Dynamic Mean-Variance Asset Allocation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 2970-3016, August.
- Wang, J. & Forsyth, P.A., 2011. "Continuous time mean variance asset allocation: A time-consistent strategy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(2), pages 184-201, March.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Hua He & Harry Mamaysky, 2001.
"Dynamic Trading Policies With Price Impact,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm244, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2002.
- Szabolcs Mike & J. Doyne Farmer, 2007.
"An empirical behavioral model of liquidity and volatility,"
- Mike, Szabolcs & Farmer, J. Doyne, 2008. "An empirical behavioral model of liquidity and volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 200-234, January.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Huang, Ruihong, 2009.
"The market impact of a limit order,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2009/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Vathana Ly Vath & Mohamed Mnif & Huyên Pham, 2007. "A model of optimal portfolio selection under liquidity risk and price impact," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 51-90, January.
- Alexander Schied & Torsten Schoneborn & Michael Tehranchi, 2010. "Optimal Basket Liquidation for CARA Investors is Deterministic," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 471-489.
- Wang, J. & Forsyth, P.A., 2010. "Numerical solution of the Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman formulation for continuous time mean variance asset allocation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 207-230, February.
- Gur Huberman & Werner Stanzl, 2004. "Price Manipulation and Quasi-Arbitrage," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1247-1275, 07.
- Jim Gatheral & Alexander Schied, 2011. "Optimal Trade Execution Under Geometric Brownian Motion In The Almgren And Chriss Framework," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 353-368.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:36:y:2012:i:12:p:1971-1991. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.