Numerical solution of the Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman formulation for continuous time mean variance asset allocation
We solve the optimal asset allocation problem using a mean variance approach. The original mean variance optimization problem can be embedded into a class of auxiliary stochastic linear-quadratic (LQ) problems using the method in Zhou and Li (2000) and Li and Ng (2000). We use a finite difference method with fully implicit timestepping to solve the resulting nonlinear Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman (HJB) PDE, and present the solutions in terms of an efficient frontier and an optimal asset allocation strategy. The numerical scheme satisfies sufficient conditions to ensure convergence to the viscosity solution of the HJB PDE. We handle various constraints on the optimal policy. Numerical tests indicate that realistic constraints can have a dramatic effect on the optimal policy compared to the unconstrained solution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duan Li & Wan-Lung Ng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Portfolio Selection: Multiperiod Mean-Variance Formulation," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 387-406.
- Nguyen, Pascal & Portait, Roland, 2002. "Dynamic asset allocation with mean variance preferences and a solvency constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 11-32, January.
- Markus LEIPPOLD & Fabio TROJANI & Paolo VANINI, 2002.
"A Geometric Approach to Multiperiod Mean Variance Optimization of Assets and Liabilities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp48, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Leippold, Markus & Trojani, Fabio & Vanini, Paolo, 2004. "A geometric approach to multiperiod mean variance optimization of assets and liabilities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1079-1113, March.
- Chellathurai, Thamayanthi & Draviam, Thangaraj, 2007. "Dynamic portfolio selection with fixed and/or proportional transaction costs using non-singular stochastic optimal control theory," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2168-2195, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Chiu, Mei Choi & Li, Duan, 2006. "Asset and liability management under a continuous-time mean-variance optimization framework," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 330-355, December.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2004.
"Stochastic lifestyling: optimal dynamic asset allocation for defined contribution pension plans,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24831, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Cairns, Andrew J.G. & Blake, David & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "Stochastic lifestyling: Optimal dynamic asset allocation for defined contribution pension plans," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 843-877, May.
- A. C. Belanger & P. A. Forsyth & G. Labahn, 2009. "Valuing the Guaranteed Minimum Death Benefit Clause with Partial Withdrawals," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(6), pages 451-496.
- Gerrard, Russell & Haberman, Steven & Vigna, Elena, 2004. "Optimal investment choices post-retirement in a defined contribution pension scheme," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 321-342, October.
- Wang, Zengwu & Xia, Jianming & Zhang, Lihong, 2007. "Optimal investment for an insurer: The martingale approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 322-334, March.
- Damgaard, Anders, 2006. "Computation of reservation prices of options with proportional transaction costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 415-444, March.
- Munk, Claus, 2000. "Optimal consumption/investment policies with undiversifiable income risk and liquidity constraints," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1315-1343, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:34:y:2010:i:2:p:207-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.