Continuous time mean variance asset allocation: A time-consistent strategy
We develop a numerical scheme for determining the optimal asset allocation strategy for time-consistent, continuous time, mean variance optimization. Any type of constraint can be applied to the investment policy. The optimal policies for time-consistent and pre-commitment strategies are compared. When realistic constraints are applied, the efficient frontiers for the pre-commitment and time-consistent strategies are similar, but the optimal investment strategies are quite different.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Zengwu & Xia, Jianming & Zhang, Lihong, 2007. "Optimal investment for an insurer: The martingale approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 322-334, March.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Cairns, Andrew J.G. & Blake, David & Dowd, Kevin, 2006.
"Stochastic lifestyling: Optimal dynamic asset allocation for defined contribution pension plans,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 843-877, May.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2004. "Stochastic lifestyling: optimal dynamic asset allocation for defined contribution pension plans," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24831, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Fu, Chenpeng & Lari-Lavassani, Ali & Li, Xun, 2010. "Dynamic mean-variance portfolio selection with borrowing constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 312-319, January.
- Nguyen, Pascal & Portait, Roland, 2002. "Dynamic asset allocation with mean variance preferences and a solvency constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 11-32, January.
- Duan Li & Wan-Lung Ng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Portfolio Selection: Multiperiod Mean-Variance Formulation," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 387-406.
- Chiu, Mei Choi & Li, Duan, 2006. "Asset and liability management under a continuous-time mean-variance optimization framework," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 330-355, December.
- Markus LEIPPOLD & Fabio TROJANI & Paolo VANINI, 2002.
"A Geometric Approach to Multiperiod Mean Variance Optimization of Assets and Liabilities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp48, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Leippold, Markus & Trojani, Fabio & Vanini, Paolo, 2004. "A geometric approach to multiperiod mean variance optimization of assets and liabilities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1079-1113, March.
- Gerrard, Russell & Haberman, Steven & Vigna, Elena, 2004. "Optimal investment choices post-retirement in a defined contribution pension scheme," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 321-342, October.
- Basak, Suleyman & Chabakauri, Georgy, 2009.
"Dynamic Mean-Variance Asset Allocation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7256, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wang, J. & Forsyth, P.A., 2010. "Numerical solution of the Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman formulation for continuous time mean variance asset allocation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 207-230, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:209:y:2011:i:2:p:184-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.