General Intensity Shapes in Optimal Liquidation
The classical literature on optimal liquidation, rooted in Almgren-Chriss models, tackles the optimal liquidation problem using a trade-off between market impact and price risk. Therefore, it only answers the general question of the optimal liquidation rhythm. The very question of the actual way to proceed with liquidation is then rarely dealt with. Our model, that incorporates both price risk and non-execution risk, is an attempt to tackle this question using limit orders. The very general framework we propose to model liquidation generalizes the existing literature on optimal posting of limit orders. We consider a risk-adverse agent whereas the model of Bayraktar and Ludkovski only tackles the case of a risk-neutral one. We consider very general functional forms for the execution process intensity, whereas Gu\'eant et al. is restricted to exponential intensity. Eventually, we link the execution cost function of Almgren-Chriss models to the intensity function in our model, providing then a way to see Almgren-Chriss models as a limit of ours.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aurélien Alfonsi & Alexander Schied, 2010. "Optimal trade execution and absence of price manipulations in limit order book models," Post-Print hal-00397652, HAL.
- Sophie Laruelle & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Gilles Pagès, 2010.
"Optimal split of orders across liquidity pools: a stochastic algorithm approach,"
- Sophie Laruelle & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Gilles Pag\`es, 2009. "Optimal split of orders across liquidity pools: a stochastic algorithm approach," Papers 0910.1166, arXiv.org, revised May 2010.
- Aur\'elien Alfonsi & Antje Fruth & Alexander Schied, 2007. "Optimal execution strategies in limit order books with general shape functions," Papers 0708.1756, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2010.
- Aurelien Alfonsi & Antje Fruth & Alexander Schied, 2010. "Optimal execution strategies in limit order books with general shape functions," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 143-157.
- Schied, Alexander & Schoeneborn, Torsten, 2008.
"Risk aversion and the dynamics of optimal liquidation strategies in illiquid markets,"
7105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Schied & Torsten Schöneborn, 2009. "Risk aversion and the dynamics of optimal liquidation strategies in illiquid markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 181-204, April.
- Gur Huberman & Werner Stanzl, 2000.
"Optimal Liquidity Trading,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm165, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2001.
- Sophie Laruelle & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Gilles Pag\`es, 2011. "Optimal posting price of limit orders: learning by trading," Papers 1112.2397, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2012.
- Guéant, Olivier & Lehalle, Charles-Albert & Tapia, Joaquin Fernandez, 2011.
"Optimal Portfolio Liquidation with Limit Orders,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7391, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Schied, Alexander & Schöneborn, Torsten, 2007. "Optimal Portfolio Liquidation for CARA Investors," MPRA Paper 5075, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hua He & Harry Mamaysky, 2001.
"Dynamic Trading Policies With Price Impact,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm244, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2002.
- Anna Obizhaeva & Jiang Wang, 2005.
"Optimal Trading Strategy and Supply/Demand Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
11444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obizhaeva, Anna A. & Wang, Jiang, 2013. "Optimal trading strategy and supply/demand dynamics," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-32.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Michael Ludkovski, 2011. "Liquidation in Limit Order Books with Controlled Intensity," Papers 1105.0247, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2012.
- Jim Gatheral & Alexander Schied, 2011. "Optimal Trade Execution Under Geometric Brownian Motion In The Almgren And Chriss Framework," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 353-368.
- Alexander Schied & Torsten Schoneborn & Michael Tehranchi, 2010. "Optimal Basket Liquidation for CARA Investors is Deterministic," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 471-489.
- Jim Gatheral, 2010. "No-dynamic-arbitrage and market impact," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(7), pages 749-759.
- Fabien Guilbaud & Mohamed Mnif & Huy\^en Pham, 2010. "Numerical methods for an optimal order execution problem," Papers 1006.0768, arXiv.org.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.0148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.