Dynamic trading policies with price impact
In this paper we analyze the optimal policy for a risk averse agent who wants to sell a large block of shares of a risky security in the presence of price impact and transactions costs. Our framework reduces to the standard Merton portfolio problem in the absence of any market frictions. Optimal liquidation results in revenue distributions which are substantially different from those generated by a naive strategy. The main tradeoff involves choosing between revenue distri
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew J. Morton & Stanley R. Pliska, 1995. "Optimal Portfolio Management With Fixed Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 337-356.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W. & Mayers, David, 1990. "Large-block transactions, the speed of response, and temporary and permanent stock-price effects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 71-95, July.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Chan, Louis K C & Lakonishok, Josef, 1995. " The Behavior of Stock Prices around Institutional Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1147-74, September.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2001.
"Strategic Trading in a Dynamic Noisy Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 131-171, 02.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 2001. "Optimal Portfolio Choice and the Valuation of Illiquid Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 407-31.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Zhu, Steven H., 1997. "Numerical analysis of a free-boundary singular control problem in financial economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 297-327.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:29:y:2005:i:5:p:891-930. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.