Unintended consequences of the market risk requirement in banking regulation
We analyze a bank that operates under the Basel credit and market risk requirements, and that maximizes its value through recapitalizations, dividends, and liquid asset investments. According to our model, the market risk requirement may postpone recapitalization and this way increase the bank's default probability. We show that this is indeed the case if the expected return and volatility of the liquid asset portfolio are high, i.e., then the market risk requirement raises the default probability of the bank. In this sense the market risk requirement is inefficient.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward Simpson Prescott, 2004.
"State-contingent bank regulation with unobserved actions and unobserved characteristics,"
04-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Marshall, David A. & Prescott, Edward Simpson, 2006. "State-contingent bank regulation with unobserved actions and unobserved characteristics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2015-2049, November.
- David A. Marshall & Edward Simpson Prescott, 2004. "State-Contingent Bank Regulation With Unobserved Actionas And Unobserved Characteristics," Working Papers wp2004_0407, CEMFI.
- David A. Marshall & Edward Simpson Prescott, 2002. "State-contingent bank regulation with unobserved action and unobserved characteristics," Working Paper Series WP-02-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Milne, Alistair & Robertson, Donald, 1996. "Firm behaviour under the threat of liquidation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1427-1449, August.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996.
"Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1998. "Risk management, capital budgeting, and capital structure policy for financial institutions: an integrated approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 55-82, January.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996. "Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach," NBER Working Papers 5403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bjarne Højgaard & Michael Taksar, 2004. "Optimal dynamic portfolio selection for a corporation with controllable risk and dividend distribution policy," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 315-327.
- Meh, Césaire A. & Moran, Kevin, 2010.
"The role of bank capital in the propagation of shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-576, March.
- Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2008. "The Role of Bank Capital in the Propagation of Shocks," Staff Working Papers 08-36, Bank of Canada.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1997. "How well capitalized are well-capitalized banks?," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 41-50.
- Blum, Jurg, 1999. "Do capital adequacy requirements reduce risks in banking?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 755-771, May.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Plank, Manfred & Strobl, Günter & Zechner, Josef, 2000.
"Bank Capital Regulation with Random Audits,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heid, Frank & Porath, Daniel & Stolz, Stéphanie, 2003. "Does capital regulation matter for bank behavior? Evidence for German savings banks," Kiel Working Papers 1192, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jón Daníelson, 2003. "On the Feasibility of Risk Based Regulation," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 157-179.
- Harjoat S. Bhamra & Lars-Alexander Kuehn & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2010. "The Levered Equity Risk Premium and Credit Spreads: A Unified Framework," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(2), pages 645-703, February.
- Danielsson, Jon & Jorgensen, Bjorn N. & de Vries, Casper G., 2002.
"Incentives for effective risk management,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1407-1425, July.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Bjarne Hø jgaard & Michael Taksar, 1999. "Controlling Risk Exposure and Dividends Payout Schemes:Insurance Company Example," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 153-182.
- Milne, Alistair, 2002. "Bank capital regulation as an incentive mechanism: Implications for portfolio choice," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Craig Furfine, 2001. "Bank Portfolio Allocation: The Impact of Capital Requirements, Regulatory Monitoring, and Economic Conditions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(1), pages 33-56, September.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Keeley, Michael C. & Furlong, Frederick T., 1990. "A reexamination of mean-variance analysis of bank capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 69-84, March.
- Samu Peura & Jussi Keppo, 2006. "Optimal Bank Capital with Costly Recapitalization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 2163-2202, July.
- Harrison, J. Michael, 1977. "Ruin problems with compounding assets," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 67-79, February.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996.
"The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- Harjoat S. Bhamra & Lars-Alexander Kuehn & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2010. "The Aggregate Dynamics of Capital Structure and Macroeconomic Risk," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(12), pages 4187-4241, December.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Bjarne Højgaard & Michael Taksar, 2001. "Optimal risk control for a large corporation in the presence of returns on investments," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 527-547.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "An analytic derivation of the cost of deposit insurance and loan guarantees An application of modern option pricing theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-11, June.
- Gennotte, Gerard & Pyle, David, 1991. "Capital controls and bank risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 805-824, September.
- Sharpe, William F., 1978. "Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance and Security Values," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 701-718, November.
- Kahane, Yehuda, 1977. "Capital adequacy and the regulation of financial intermediaries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 207-218, October.
- Abel Cadenillas & Sudipto Sarkar & Fernando Zapatero, 2007. "Optimal Dividend Policy With Mean-Reverting Cash Reservoir," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 81-109.
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Framstad, Nils Chr. & Oksendal, Bernt & Sulem, Agnes, 2001. "Optimal consumption and portfolio in a jump diffusion market with proportional transaction costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 233-257, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:34:y:2010:i:10:p:2192-2214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.