A class of quadratic options for exchange rate stabilization
We propose the use of a new option which we call 'quadratic,' and that central banks could use to smooth exchange rate volatility through the hedging strategies of the issuers. We derive analytic pricing and hedging formulas. We suggest a criterion to derive the optimal (for the Central Bank) option parameters. Finally, we perform several simulation exercises which show the effectiveness of using this option, with or without conventional spot interventions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liliana B Schumacher & Mario I. BlÃ©jer, 2000. "Central Banks Use of Derivatives and Other Contingent Liabilities; Analytical Issues and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 00/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2001.
"The practice of central bank intervention: looking under the hood,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 1-10.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2000. "The practice of central bank intervention: looking under the hood," Working Papers 2000-028, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Vitale, Paolo, 1999. "Sterilised central bank intervention in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 245-267, December.
- Priscilla Chiu, 2003. "Transparency versus constructive ambiguity in foreign exchange intervention," BIS Working Papers 144, Bank for International Settlements.
- Dowd, Kevin, 1994. "A Proposal to End Inflation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 828-840, July.
- Jonathan Eaton & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1984. "The Forward Exchange Market, Speculation, and Exchange Market Intervention," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(1), pages 45-69.
- Jonathan Eaton & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1983. "The Forward Exchange Market, Speculation, and Exchange Market Intervention," NBER Working Papers 1138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Breuer, 1999. "Central Bank Participation in Currency Options Markets," IMF Working Papers 99/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Ousmene J Mandeng, 2003. "Central Bank Foreign Exchange Market Intervention and Option Contract Specification; The Case of Colombia," IMF Working Papers 03/135, International Monetary Fund.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Weller, Paul, 1997. "The advantage to hiding one's hand: Speculation and central bank intervention in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 251-277, July.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Weller, Paul, 1992. "The Advantage to Hiding One's Hand: Speculation and Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 737, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hung, Juann H, 1997. "Intervention strategies and exchange rate volatility: a noise trading perspective," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 779-793, September.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-1176, December.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M & Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1993. "Does Foreign-Exchange Intervention Matter? The Portfolio Effect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1356-1369, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
- Zapatero, Fernando & Reverter, Luis F., 2003. "Exchange rate intervention with options," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 289-306, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:32:y:2008:i:11:p:3478-3501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.