Valuation of power options under Heston's stochastic volatility model
We derive semi-analytic solutions for power option prices under the Heston model; specifically, the pricing formula is shown to be valid whenever the power of the underlying asset price has a finite moment. Unlike the majority of stochastic volatility models, there remains a significant problem to check the existence of moments of assets prices of order higher than one. Fortunately, the moment explosion property under the Heston model is examined systematically in Andersen and Piterbarg (2000). Incorporating with their results, we present explicit formulas for moment generating function of log price and for power option prices under the circumstances when the corresponding moments are finite. In case that the corresponding moment explodes, we provide two numerical methods to derive prices of power put and capped power call options. In spite of a simple idea, numerical examples show that the approximations are extremely accurate and efficient.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Todd E. & Davig, Troy, 2011.
"Decomposing the declining volatility of long-term inflation expectations,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 981-999, July.
- Todd E. Clark & Troy A. Davig, 2009. "Decomposing the declining volatility of long-term inflation expectations," Research Working Paper RWP 09-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Morana, Claudio, 2009.
"Modelling long memory and structural breaks in conditional variances: An adaptive FIGARCH approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1577-1592, August.
- Richard T. Baillie & Claudio Morana, 2007. "Modeling Long Memory and Structural Breaks in Conditional Variances: an Adaptive FIGARCH Approach," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Richard T. Baillie & Claudio Morana, 2007. "Modeling Long Memory and Structural Breaks in Conditional Variances: An Adaptive FIGARCH Approach," Working Papers 593, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Cao, Charles & Chen, Zhiwu, 1997.
" Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2003-2049, December.
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1997. "Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm54, Yale School of Management.
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1997. "Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm65, Yale School of Management.
- Stein, Elias M & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Stock Price Distributions with Stochastic Volatility: An Analytic Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 727-752.
- Melino, Angelo & Turnbull, Stuart M., 1990. "Pricing foreign currency options with stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 239-265.
- Suh, Sangwon & Zapatero, Fernando, 2008. "A class of quadratic options for exchange rate stabilization," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 3478-3501, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Wiggins, James B., 1987. "Option values under stochastic volatility: Theory and empirical estimates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 351-372, December.
- Holger Kraft, 2005. "Optimal portfolios and Heston's stochastic volatility model: an explicit solution for power utility," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 303-313.
- Angelo Melino & Stuart M. Turnbull, 1991. "The Pricing of Foreign Currency Options," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 251-281, May.
- Scott, Louis O., 1987. "Option Pricing when the Variance Changes Randomly: Theory, Estimation, and an Application," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 419-438, December.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)