Maltreatment of children in out-of-home care: A review of associated factors and outcomes
This paper provides an overview of the nature and consequences of the maltreatment of children in out-of-home care. It discusses maltreatment by individual perpetrators such as carers or other children, and maltreatment inflicted through policies, processes and decisions made within the child protection system. The impacts of maltreatment in out-of-home care on children are reviewed, and the child, worker and system factors that contribute to maltreatment of children in care are discussed. The need for changes in child protection services is highlighted.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolock, Isabel & Sherman, Patricia & Feldman, Leonard H. & Metzger, Barbara, 2001. "Child abuse and neglect referral patterns: A longitudinal study," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 21-47, January.
- Shaughnessy, Michael F., 1984. "Institutional child abuse," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 311-318.
- Blatt, Edward R., 1992. "Factors associated with child abuse and neglect in residential care settings," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 493-517.
- Groze, Victor, 1990. "An exploratory investigation into institutional mistreatment," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 229-241.
- Spencer, J. William & Knudsen, Dean D., 1992. "Out-of-home maltreatment: An analysis of risk in various settings for children," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 485-492.
- Turner, Heather A. & Finkelhor, David & Ormrod, Richard, 2006. "The effect of lifetime victimization on the mental health of children and adolescents," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 13-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:cysrev:v:34:y:2012:i:12:p:2280-2286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.