A new approach to bootstrap inference in functional coefficient models
To infer on functional dependence of regression parameters, a new, factor based bootstrap approach is introduced, that is robust under various forms of heteroskedastic error terms. Modeling the functional coefficient parametrically, the bootstrap approximation of an F-statistic is shown to hold asymptotically. In simulation studies with both parametric and nonparametric functional coefficients, factor based bootstrap inference outperforms the wild bootstrap and pairs bootstrap approach, according to its rejection frequencies under the null hypothesis. Applying the functional coefficient model to a cross sectional investment regression on savings, the saving retention coefficient is found to depend on third variables as the population growth rate and the openness ratio.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Horowitz, J.L., 1992. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative," Papers 9219, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001.
"The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Working Papers 1000, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1413, Econometric Society.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The wild bootstrap, tamed at last," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6560, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Horowitz, J. & Härdle, W.K., 1992.
"Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative,"
1992-19, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Härdle, Wolfgang, 1994. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 821-848, December.
- Horowitz, J.L. & Hardle, W., 1992. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative," Working Papers 92-06, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Zongwu Cai & Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 2000. "Functional-coefficient regression models for nonlinear time series," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aneiros-Perez, G. & Vilar-Fernandez, J.M., 2008. "Local polynomial estimation in partial linear regression models under dependence," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 2757-2777, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:6:p:2155-2167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.