Forecasting daily time series using periodic unobserved components time series models
This discussion paper resulted in a publication in Computational Statistics & Data Analysis (2006). Vol. 51, issue 2, pages 885-903. We explore a periodic analysis in the context of unobserved components time series models that decompose time series into components of interest such as trend and seasonal. Periodic time series models allow dynamic characteristics to depend on the period of the year, month, week or day. In the standard multivariate approach one can interpret periodic time series modelling as a simultaneous analysis of a set of, traditionally, yearly time series where each series is related to a particular season, with a time index in years. Our analysis applies to monthly vector time series related to each day of the month. We focus on forecasting performance and the underlying periodic forecast function, defined by the in-sample observation weights for producing (multi-step) forecasts. These weights facilitate the interpretation of periodic model extensions. We take a statistical state space approach to estimate our model, so that we can identify stochastic unobserved components and we can deal with irregularly spaced time series. We extend existing algorithms to compute observation weights for forecasting based on state space models with regressor variables. Our methods are illustrated by an application to time series of clearly periodic daily Dutch tax revenues. The dimension of our model is large as we allow the time series for each day of the month to be subject to a changing seasonal pattern. Nevertheless, even with only five years of data we find that increased periodic flexibility helps help in simulated out-of-sample forecasting for two extra years of data.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. C. Harvey & Siem Jan Koopman, 2000.
"Computing Observation Weights for Signal Extraction and Filtering,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0888, Econometric Society.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Harvey, Andrew, 2003. "Computing observation weights for signal extraction and filtering," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1317-1333, May.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms, 2003.
"Time Series Modelling of Daily Tax Revenues,"
Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 57(4), pages 439-469.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2004. "Periodic Time Series Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199242030, December.
- Proietti Tommaso, 2004. "Seasonal Specific Structural Time Series," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-22, May.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, December.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Holt, Charles C., 2004. "Forecasting seasonals and trends by exponentially weighted moving averages," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 5-10.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1991. "The implications of periodically varying coefficients for seasonal time-series processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 373-384, June.
- Holt, Charles C., 2004. "Author's retrospective on 'Forecasting seasonals and trends by exponentially weighted moving averages'," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 11-13.
- Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero & Siem Jan Koopman, 2004.
"Periodic Heteroskedastic RegARFIMA models for daily electricity spot prices,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
158, Econometric Society.
- M. Angeles Carnero & Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms, 2003. "Periodic Heteroskedastic RegARFIMA Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-071/4, Tinbergen Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:51:y:2006:i:2:p:885-903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.