Building a metamodel of an irrigation district distributed-parameter model
Complex decision-making problems, related to planning and management of irrigation water resources, generally preclude the use of large, distributed-parameter models, which are then commonly substituted by lumped-parameter models. This paper, with the aim of improving the quality of these latter, introduces a new approach for their design. This approach is based on metamodelling, which proposes to identify a simple, lumped-parameter model on the basis of the data produced via simulation with a distributed-parameter model. The approach proposed is tested on a real-world case study, namely the identification of a metamodel describing the water demand of the Muzza-Bassa Lodigiana irrigation district (Italy). The metamodel, which inherits the physical description of the original distributed-parameter model, is sufficiently simple to permit the resolution of an optimal control problem, i.e. the design, via stochastic dynamic programming, of the release policy of Lake Como, serving the Muzza irrigation district.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, R. & Subramanian, K. & Refsgaard, J. C., 1999. "Hydrological modelling of a small watershed using MIKE SHE for irrigation planning," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 149-166, August.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Sargent, R., 1997.
"A Methodology for Fitting and Validating Metamodels in Simulation,"
1997-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kleijnen, Jack P. C. & Sargent, Robert G., 2000. "A methodology for fitting and validating metamodels in simulation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 14-29, January.
- Shangguan, Zhouping & Shao, Mingan & Horton, Robert & Lei, Tingwu & Qin, Lin & Ma, Jianqing, 2002. "A model for regional optimal allocation of irrigation water resources under deficit irrigation and its applications," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 139-154, January.
- Bouzaher, Aziz & Lakshminarayan, P. G. & Cabe, Richard & Carriquiry, Alicia L. & Gassman, Philip W. & Shogren, Jason F., 1993.
"Metamodels and Nonpoint Pollution Policy in Agriculture,"
Staff General Research Papers
531, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Aziz Bouzaher & Richard Cabe & Alicia L. Carriquiry & Philip W. Gassman & P. G. Lakshminarayan & Jason F. Shogren, 1992. "Metamodels and Nonpoint Pollution Policy in Agriculture," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 92-wp97, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agiwat:v:97:y:2010:i:2:p:187-200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.