Building a metamodel of an irrigation district distributed-parameter model
Complex decision-making problems, related to planning and management of irrigation water resources, generally preclude the use of large, distributed-parameter models, which are then commonly substituted by lumped-parameter models. This paper, with the aim of improving the quality of these latter, introduces a new approach for their design. This approach is based on metamodelling, which proposes to identify a simple, lumped-parameter model on the basis of the data produced via simulation with a distributed-parameter model. The approach proposed is tested on a real-world case study, namely the identification of a metamodel describing the water demand of the Muzza-Bassa Lodigiana irrigation district (Italy). The metamodel, which inherits the physical description of the original distributed-parameter model, is sufficiently simple to permit the resolution of an optimal control problem, i.e. the design, via stochastic dynamic programming, of the release policy of Lake Como, serving the Muzza irrigation district.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shangguan, Zhouping & Shao, Mingan & Horton, Robert & Lei, Tingwu & Qin, Lin & Ma, Jianqing, 2002. "A model for regional optimal allocation of irrigation water resources under deficit irrigation and its applications," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 139-154, January.
- Kleijnen, Jack P. C. & Sargent, Robert G., 2000.
"A methodology for fitting and validating metamodels in simulation,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 14-29, January.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Sargent, R., 1997. "A Methodology for Fitting and Validating Metamodels in Simulation," Discussion Paper 1997-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Aziz Bouzaher & Richard Cabe & Alicia L. Carriquiry & Philip W. Gassman & P. G. Lakshminarayan & Jason F. Shogren, 1992. "Metamodels and Nonpoint Pollution Policy in Agriculture," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 92-wp97, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bouzaher, Aziz & Lakshminarayan, P. G. & Cabe, Richard & Carriquiry, Alicia L. & Gassman, Philip W. & Shogren, Jason F., 1993. "Metamodels and Nonpoint Pollution Policy in Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers Archive 531, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Singh, R. & Subramanian, K. & Refsgaard, J. C., 1999. "Hydrological modelling of a small watershed using MIKE SHE for irrigation planning," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 149-166, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agiwat:v:97:y:2010:i:2:p:187-200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.