Development and evaluation of an integrated simulation model for assessing smallholder crop-livestock production in Yucatán, Mexico
Mixed farming systems constitute a large proportion of agricultural production in the tropics, and provide multiple benefits for the world's poor. However, our understanding of the functioning of these systems is limited. Modeling offers the best approach to quantify outcomes from many interacting causal variables in these systems. The objective of this study was to develop an integrated crop-livestock model to assess biophysical and economic consequences of farming practices exhibited in sheep systems of Yucatán state, Mexico. A Vensim(TM) dynamic stock-flow feedback model was developed to integrate scientific and practical knowledge of management, flock dynamics, sheep production, partitioning of nutrients, labor, and economic components. The model accesses sheep production and manure quantity and quality data generated using the Small Ruminant Nutrition System (SRNS), and interfaces on a daily basis with an Agricultural Production Systems Simulator (APSIM) model that simulates weather, crop, and soil dynamics. Model evaluation indicated that the integrated model adequately represents the complex interactions that occur between farmers, crops, and livestock.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herrero, M. & Gonzalez-Estrada, E. & Thornton, P.K. & Quiros, C. & Waithaka, M.M. & Ruiz, R. & Hoogenboom, G., 2007. "IMPACT: Generic household-level databases and diagnostics tools for integrated crop-livestock systems analysis," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-3), pages 240-265, January.
- McCown, R. L. & Hammer, G. L. & Hargreaves, J. N. G. & Holzworth, D. P. & Freebairn, D. M., 1996. "APSIM: a novel software system for model development, model testing and simulation in agricultural systems research," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 255-271.
- van Ittersum, Martin K. & Ewert, Frank & Heckelei, Thomas & Wery, Jacques & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Andersen, Erling & Bezlepkina, Irina & Brouwer, Floor & Donatelli, Marcello & Flichman, Guillermo & , 2008. "Integrated assessment of agricultural systems - A component-based framework for the European Union (SEAMLESS)," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 150-165, March.
- Thornton, P. K. & Herrero, M., 2001. "Integrated crop-livestock simulation models for scenario analysis and impact assessment," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 70(2-3), pages 581-602.
- van Wijk, Mark T. & Tittonell, Pablo & Rufino, Mariana C. & Herrero, Mario & Pacini, Cesare & Ridder, Nico de & Giller, Ken E., 2009. "Identifying key entry-points for strategic management of smallholder farming systems in sub-Saharan Africa using the dynamic farm-scale simulation model NUANCES-FARMSIM," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 102(1-3), pages 89-101, October.
- Patrick Smith, F. & Holzworth, Dean P. & Robertson, Michael J., 2005. "Linking icon-based models to code-based models: a case study with the agricultural production systems simulator," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 135-151, February.
- Gradiz, L. & Sugimoto, A. & Ujihara, K. & Fukuhara, S. & Kahi, A.K. & Hirooka, H., 2007. "Beef cow-calf production system integrated with sugarcane production: Simulation model development and application in Japan," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 750-762, June.
- Jones, J. W. & Keating, B. A. & Porter, C. H., 2001. "Approaches to modular model development," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 70(2-3), pages 421-443.
- Donnelly, J. R. & Freer, M. & Salmon, L. & Moore, A. D. & Simpson, R. J. & Dove, H. & Bolger, T. P., 2002. "Evolution of the GRAZPLAN decision support tools and adoption by the grazing industry in temperate Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 115-139, October.
- Moore, A.D. & Holzworth, D.P. & Herrmann, N.I. & Huth, N.I. & Robertson, M.J., 2007. "The Common Modelling Protocol: A hierarchical framework for simulation of agricultural and environmental systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-3), pages 37-48, December.
- Probert, M. E. & Dimes, J. P. & Keating, B. A. & Dalal, R. C. & Strong, W. M., 1998. "APSIM's water and nitrogen modules and simulation of the dynamics of water and nitrogen in fallow systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-28, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:104:y:2011:i:1:p:1-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.