The Impact of Stock Market Performance upon Economic Growth
The main purpose of this study was to explore the causal link between stock market performance and economic growth in terms of a simple theoretical and empirical literature framework. Researchers hold diverse opinions regarding the importance of stock markets playing a significant role in economic growth processes by performing the following functions: improving liquidity, aggregating and mobilising capital, observing managers and exerting corporate control, providing risk-pooling and sharing services including investment levels. The growing theoretical literature argues that stock markets are crucially linked to economic growth. The findings suggest a positive relationship between efficient stock markets and economic growth, both in short run and long run and there is evidence of an indirect transmission mechanism through the effect of stock market development on investment. They are seen as providing a service that boosts economic growth. The results are consistent with the theoretical and empirical predictions.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Pages: 788 - 798
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Ajit, 1999.
"Should Africa promote stock market capitalism?,"
54291, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boyle, Glenn W & Peterson, James D, 1995. "Monetary Policy, Aggregate Uncertainty, and the Stock Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 570-82, May.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209, April.
- Levine, Ross, 1991. " Stock Markets, Growth, and Tax Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1445-65, September.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2000. "Stock Market Liberalization, Economic Reform, and Emerging Market Equity Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 529-564, 04.
- Fulghieri, Paolo & Rovelli, Riccardo, 1998. "Capital markets, financial intermediaries, and liquidity supply," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1157-1180, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2013-04-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.