On the substitutability between public and private employment
In this note we provide empirical evidence that shows that there seems to be a high degree of substitutability between public and private employment. We estimate an aggregated production function with a CES specification over labor inputs both public and private. Under the assumption that private and public workers are paid their marginal products, we obtain an equation that relates wages' ratios with employment ratios. By estimating that expression for a number of OECD countries we find that for most countries this simple model can explain strikingly well the dynamics of the observed relationship between private and public labor sectors.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domeij, David & Ljungqvist, Lars, 2006.
"Wage Structure and Public Sector Employment: Sweden versus the United States 1970-2002,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
638, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Domeij, David & Ljungqvist, Lars, 2006. "Wage Structure and Public Sector Employment: Sweden versus the United States 1970-2002," CEPR Discussion Papers 5921, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gonzalo Fernández-de-Córdoba & Javier Pérez & José Torres, 2012.
"Public and private sector wages interactions in a general equilibrium model,"
Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 309-326, January.
- Gonzalo Fernández-de-Córdoba & Javier J. Pérez & José L. Torres, 2009. "Public and private sector wages interactions in a general equilibrium model," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0924, Banco de Espa�a.
- Fernàndez-de-Córdoba, Gonzalo & Pérez, Javier J. & Torres, José L., 2009. "Public and private sector wages interactions in a general equilibrium model," Working Paper Series 1099, European Central Bank.
- Junichiro Ishida & Noriaki Matsushima, 2006.
"Should civil servants be restricted in wage bargaining? A mixed-duopoly approach,"
2006-07, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Ishida, Junichiro & Matsushima, Noriaki, 2009. "Should civil servants be restricted in wage bargaining? A mixed-duopoly approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(3-4), pages 634-646, April.
- Junichiro Ishida & Noriaki Matsushima, 2008. "Should civil servants be restricted in wage bargaining? A mixed-duopoly approach," Discussion Papers 2008-49, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Ardagna, Silvia, 2007. "Fiscal Policy in Unionized Labor Markets," Scholarly Articles 2580048, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Zenon Kontolemis G. & Dimitri G. Demekas, 1999.
"Government Employment and Wages and Labor Market Performance,"
IMF Working Papers
99/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Demekas, Dimitri G & Kontolemis, Zenon G, 2000. " Government Employment and Wages and Labour Market Performance," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(3), pages 391-415, July.
- Bender, Keith A, 1998. " The Central Government-Private Sector Wage Differential," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 177-220, April.
- Keith A. Bender, 2003. "Examining Equality between Public- and Private-Sector Wage Distributions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(1), pages 62-79, January.
- Afonso, António & Gomes, Pedro, 2014.
"Interactions between private and public sector wages,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(PA), pages 97-112.
- Afonso, António & Gomes, Pedro Maia, 2010. "Interactions between Private and Public Sector Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 5322, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Afonso, António & Gomes, Pedro, 2008. "Interactions between private and public sector wages," Working Paper Series 0971, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes, 2008. "Interactions between Private and Public Sector Wages," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/55, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Ardagna, Silvia, 2007. "Fiscal policy in unionized labor markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1498-1534, May.
- Ana Lamo & Javier J. Pérez & Ludger Schuknecht, 2008. "Public and private sector wages:comovement and casuality," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2008/14, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.