Is there a signalling role for public wages? Evidence for the euro area based on macro data
Do public sector wages exert presures on private sector wages, or has private sector a leadership role in wage setting?. This paper tries to isolate the pure signalling effect that one sector might exert on the other by controlling for other determinants of wages (prices, productivity, institutions) for the main euro area economies (Germany, France, Italy and Spain) and the periods 1980-2007 and 1991-2007. It exploits avilable quarterly information not yet used in the literature, and combine different data sources in the framework of mixed frequencies time series models. The quarterly frequency of our data allows us to check the existence of strong evidence of public wages’ leadership, either in conjunction with bidirectional links from the private sector (Germany and Spain) or pure public wage leadership (France in the sample 1991-2007, Italy for within-the-year linkages).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Maffezzoli, 2000.
"Non-Walrasian Labor Markets and Real Business Cycles,"
- Marco Maffezzoli, 2001. "Non-Walrasian Labor Markets and Real Business Cycles," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(4), pages 860-892, October.
- Marco Maffezzoli, . "Non-Walrasian Labor Markets and Real Business Cycles," Working Papers 167, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Kåre Johansen & Bjarne Strøm, 2003. "Efficiency wages, wage comparison, and public sector budgeting," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 215-228, November.
- Kuhn, Peter & Gu, Wulong, 1999. "Learning in Sequential Wage Negotiations: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(1), pages 109-40, January.
- Ram, Rati, 1984. "Causal Ordering across Inflation and Productivity Growth in the Post-war United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(3), pages 472-77, August.
- Eichler, Michael, 2007. "Granger causality and path diagrams for multivariate time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 334-353, April.
- Kevin Hoover & Selva Demiralp, 2003.
"Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression,"
33, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Selva Demiralp & Kevin D. Hoover, 2003. "Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(s1), pages 745-767, December.
- Donald Freeman & David Yerger, 2000. "Does inflation lower productivity? Time series evidence on the impact of inflation on labor productivity in 12 OECD nations," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(3), pages 315-332, September.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2008.
"Did wages reflect growth in productivity?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 591-594.
- Garrett, Ian & Priestley, Richard, 2000. "Dividend Behaviour and Dividend Signaling," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(02), pages 173-189, June.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2008. "Did Wages Reflect Growth in Productivity?," Scholarly Articles 2794832, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lange, Joe & Sack, Brian & Whitesell, William, 2003. " Anticipations of Monetary Policy in Financial Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 889-909, December.
- John H. Tyler & Richard J. Murnane & John B. Willett, 2000. "Estimating The Labor Market Signaling Value Of The GED," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 431-468, May.
- Jacobson, Tor & Ohlsson, Henry, 1994.
"Long-Run Relations between Private and Public Sector Wages in Sweden,"
Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 343-60.
- Jocobson, T. & Ohlsson, H., 1991. "Cointegrating Sectoral Wages in Sweden - a Maximum Likelihood Approach," Papers 1991t, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Tommaso Proietti & Filippo Moauro, 2006.
"Dynamic factor analysis with non-linear temporal aggregation constraints,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 55(2), pages 281-300.
- Tommaso Proietti & Filippo Moauro, 2004. "Dynamic Factor Analysis with Nonlinear Temporal Aggregation Constraints," Econometrics 0401003, EconWPA.
- Afonso, António & Gomes, Pedro, 2008.
"Interactions between private and public sector wages,"
Working Paper Series
0971, European Central Bank.
- Afonso, António & Gomes, Pedro, 2014. "Interactions between private and public sector wages," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 39(PA), pages 97-112.
- Afonso, António & Gomes, Pedro Maia, 2010. "Interactions between Private and Public Sector Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 5322, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes, 2008. "Interactions between Private and Public Sector Wages," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/55, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Andrew Weiss, 1995. "Human Capital vs. Signalling Explanations of Wages," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 133-154, Fall.
- Holmlund, B. & Ohlsson, H., 1990. "Wage Linkages Between Private and Public Sectors," Papers 1990t, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Lamo, Ana & Pérez, Javier J. & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2008. "Public and private sector wages: co-movement and causality," Working Paper Series 0963, European Central Bank.
- Steffen L. Lauritzen & Thomas S. Richardson, 2002. "Chain graph models and their causal interpretations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 321-348.
- Zenon Kontolemis G. & Dimitri G. Demekas, 1999.
"Government Employment and Wages and Labor Market Performance,"
IMF Working Papers
99/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Demekas, Dimitri G & Kontolemis, Zenon G, 2000. " Government Employment and Wages and Labour Market Performance," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(3), pages 391-415, July.
- repec:hrv:faseco:3353756 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew Harvey & Chia-Hui Chung, 2000. "Estimating the underlying change in unemployment in the UK," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 163(3), pages 303-309.
- Kent Friberg, 2007. "Intersectoral wage linkages: the case of Sweden," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 161-184, April.
- J. Lindquist & Roger Vilhelmsson, 2006.
"Is the Swedish central government a wage leader?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(14), pages 1617-1625.
- Ardagna, Silvia, 2007. "Fiscal Policy in Unionized Labor Markets," Scholarly Articles 2580048, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ardagna, Silvia, 2007. "Fiscal policy in unionized labor markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1498-1534, May.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0934. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.