Inflation differentials in EMU: what can we learn from the time series evidence?
This note discusses whether the inflation process in Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain - countries that after the launch of the euro experienced national inflation rates above the weighted average of the EMU- has different time series properties from the EMU average and explains the possible implications of inflation differentials for the union and the national governments of member-countries. We find that the inflation differentials in Greece, Portugal and Spain are a long-run phenomenon which leads to a continuous real exchange appreciation. We interpret this as evidence for the debt problems that have arisen over the last two years in euro area.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Smets & Rafael Wouters, 2007.
"Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 586-606, June.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles : a Bayesian DSGE Approach," Working Paper Research 109, National Bank of Belgium.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Rafael, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 6112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2007. "Shocks and frictions in US business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE approach," Working Paper Series 722, European Central Bank.
- Christophe Schalck, 2011. "The European fiscal framework: What lessons can we learn from the crisis?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 358-366.
- Angeloni Ignazio & Ehrmann Michael, 2007. "Euro Area Inflation Differentials," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-36, August.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Ehrmann, Michael, 2004. "Euro area inflation differentials," Working Paper Series 388, European Central Bank.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2006:i:9:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 2002. "One Money, But Many Fiscal Policies in Europe : What are the Consequences?," Discussion Paper 2002-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2002. "One Money, but Many Fiscal Policies in Europe: What Are the Consequences?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3296, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.