Dynamic pricing rule and R&D
This article models the intertemporal behaviour of a firm that sets product prices and simultaneously invests in R&D. The model shows that the dynamic pricing rule follows the evolution of the production cost and is independent of the evolution of the product quality. Thus, process innovation, which reduces production cost, is the main determinant of a firm's pricing policy over time. Moreover, the firm invests more in process innovation over time at the expense of product innovation. Hence, the model explains the decrease in the cost of production and in the price of technological products throughout their life cycle.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sahal, Devendra, 1985. "Technological guideposts and innovation avenues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 61-82, April.
- Régis Chenavaz & Benoît Leloup, 2011. "Les déterminants de la politique de tarification dynamique sur un marché biface. Le cas des logiciels de type client-serveur," Revue d'économie industrielle, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(3), pages 89-114.
- Susan Athey & Armin Schmutzler, 1995. "Product and Process Flexibility in an Innovative Environment," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(4), pages 557-574, Winter.
- Lambertini, Luca & Mantovani, Andrea, 2009.
"Process and product innovation by a multiproduct monopolist: A dynamic approach,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 508-518, July.
- L. Lambertini & A. Mantovani, 2005. "Process and Product Innovation by a Multiproduct Monopolist: A Dynamic Approach," Working Papers 551, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Utterback, James M & Abernathy, William J, 1975. "A dynamic model of process and product innovation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 639-656, December.
- Teng, Jinn-Tsair & Thompson, Gerald L., 1996. "Optimal strategies for general price-quality decision models of new products with learning production costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 476-489, September.
- Shlomo Kalish, 1983. "Monopolist Pricing with Dynamic Demand and Production Cost," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 135-159.
- Andrea Mantovani, 2006. "Complementarity between product and process innovation in a monopoly setting," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 219-234.
- A. Mantovani, 2005. "Complementarity between Product and Process innovation in a Monopoly Setting," Working Papers 533, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Voros, Jozsef, 2006. "The dynamics of price, quality and productivity improvement decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 809-823, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)