Can asymmetries account for the empirical failure of the Fisher effect in South Africa?
This paper investigates whether unobserved asymmetries can account for irregularities in the Fisher effect for the exclusive case of South Africa. This objective is attained by investigating unit roots within a threshold auto-regressive (TAR) models and estimating a threshold vector error correction (TVEC) models for the data. The empirical analysis depicts significant long-run Fisher effects whereas such effects are deficient with regards to the short-run. These results improve on those obtained in preceding studies for South Africa, in the sense of being closely emulated with the original hypothesis as presented by Fisher (1907).
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2002.
"Unit Root Tests in Three-Regime SETAR Models,"
465, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Shabbir Ahmad, 2010. "Fisher effect in nonlinear STAR framework: some evidence from Asia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2558-2566.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries,"
Discussion Paper Series
2010_06, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Can common stocks provide a hedge against inflation? Evidence from African countries," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 91-100, August.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2010-07, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1022, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Working Paper Series 06_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- H.a. Mitchell-innes & M.j. Aziakpono & A.p. Faure, 2007. "Inflation Targeting And The Fisher Effect In South Africa: An Empirical Investigation," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 75(4), pages 693-707, December.
- William J. Crowder & Mark E. Wohar, 1999. "Are Tax Effects Important in the Long-Run Fisher Relationship? Evidence from the Municipal Bond Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 307-317, 02.
- Million, Nicolas, 2004. "Central Bank's interventions and the Fisher hypothesis: a threshold cointegration investigation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1051-1064, December.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Diaz-Roldan & Vicente Esteve, 2005.
"Is the Fisher effect non-linear? some evidence for Spain, 1963-2002,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 849-854.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Carmen Díaz Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2004. "Is the Fisher Effect Nonlinear? Some Evidence for Spain, 1963-2002," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.