The Effects of Inflation Targeting on the Current Account: An Empirical Examination
Empirical studies have found that inflation targeting leads to a fall in real interest rate, macroeconomic uncertainty, exchange rate volatility, and output volatility. Economic theory suggests that those elements should lead to a rise in investment and a fall in private savings. However, Rose (2007) reports very little association between current account and inflation targeting. This paper examines the effect of inflation targeting on current account. The results show that, consistent with economic theory, inflation targeting does negatively affect current account once global shocks have been properly accounted for. This evidence implies that exchange rate and balance of payment crises should not lead inflation targeting per se.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew K. Rose, 2006.
"A Stable International Monetary System Emerges: Inflation Targeting is Bretton Woods, Reversed,"
NBER Working Papers
12711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K., 2007. "A stable international monetary system emerges: Inflation targeting is Bretton Woods, reversed," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 663-681, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002. "Fear of floating," MPRA Paper 14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ghosh, Atish R. & Ostry, Jonathan D., 1997. "Macroeconomic uncertainty, precautionary saving, and the current account," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 121-139, September.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-178750 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vittorio Corbo & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting in Latin America,"
Documentos de Trabajo
230, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro M. Werner, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro Werner, 2002. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 171, Central Bank of Chile.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Fear Of Floating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Levin, Andrew & Swanson, Eric T, 2006.
"Does Inflation Targeting Anchor Long-Run Inflation Expectations? Evidence from Long-Term Bond Yields in the US, UK and Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5808, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak & Andrew T. Levin & Eric T. Swanson, 2006. "Does inflation targeting anchor long-run inflation expectations? evidence from long-term bond yields in the U.S., U.K., and Sweden," Working Paper Series 2006-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar Prasad, 2000.
"Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration,"
IMF Working Papers
00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003. "Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorarinn G. Petursson, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and its Effects on Macroeconomic Performance," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2005/5 edited by Morten Balling.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999.
"Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000. "Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2398, The World Bank.
- Thorarinn G. Petursson, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and its Effects on Macroeconomic Performance," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Andrew T. Levin & Fabio M. Natalucci & Jeremy M. Piger, 2004. "The macroeconomic effects of inflation targeting," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 51-80.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00414. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.