Some evidence about the evolution of the size distribution of Italian firms by age
In this short note we are interested in the distribution of Italian firm size by age. In the wake of other recent work, such as Cabral and Mata (2003) [On the evolution of firm size distribution: facts and theory. American Economic Review 93, 1075-1090] for Portuguese companies, we aim to verify if the size distribution of young firms (less than 5 years old) is sensibly different from that of older firms (more than 30 years old). To perform our analysis we use a very comprehensive industrial panel, with about 25k firms for twenty years of observations. As far as the results are concerned, it is possible to verify a clear difference in the size distribution of firms by age, for which we give a good fit using the generalized beta distribution of the second kind.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-63, May.
- F. Clementi & T. Di Matteo & M. Gallegati & G. Kaniadakis, 2007.
"The k-generalized distribution: A new descriptive model for the size distribution of incomes,"
0710.3645, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2008.
- Clementi, F. & Di Matteo, T. & Gallegati, M. & Kaniadakis, G., 2008. "The κ-generalized distribution: A new descriptive model for the size distribution of incomes," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(13), pages 3201-3208.
- L. Crosato & P. Ganugi, 2007. "Statistical regularity of firm size distribution: the Pareto IV and truncated Yule for Italian SCI manufacturing," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 85-115, June.
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Paolo Angelini & Andrea Generale, 2008. "On the Evolution of Firm Size Distributions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 426-38, March.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Elena Cefis & Giovanni Dosi, 2002.
"Corporate growth and industrial structures: some evidence from the Italian manufacturing industry,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 705-723, August.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Elena Cefis & Giovanni Dosi, 2001. "Corporate Growth and Industrial Structure. Some Evidence from the Italian Manufacturing Industry," LEM Papers Series 2001/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-70, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.