The value of nursing education in Canada: the choice of diploma or baccalaureate degree
This paper examines the annual earnings of two categories of higher education levels (baccalaureate, diploma) with age patterns of Canadian-trained female registered nurses in the human capital framework. It engages me in employing benefit-cost analysis to measure the value of baccalaureate degrees to Canadian registered nurses (RNs) and to assess whether the evidence is consistent with implications of human capital theory. While baccalaureate nurses need one more year of education compared to diploma nurses, the study suggests that both paid tuition and forgone earnings for the year of education in a university nursing program can be compensated sufficiently by exploring age-earnings profiles.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 23 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griliches, Zvi, 1977. "Estimating the Returns to Schooling: Some Econometric Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Botelho, Anabela & Bland Jones, Cheryl & Kiker, B. F., 1998. "Nursing wages and educational credentials: the role of work experience and selectivity bias," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 297-306, June.
- Spetz, Joanne, 2002. "The value of education in a licensed profession: the choice of associate or baccalaureate degrees in nursing," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 73-85, February.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1.
- LaVonne A. Booton & Julia I. Lane, 1985. "Hospital Market Structure and the Return to Nursing Education," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(2), pages 184-196.
- Charles R. Link, 1988. "Returns to Nursing Education: 1970-84," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(3), pages 372-387.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08i00002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.