A synthesis of location models
This article considers a model of spatial competition where firms and consumers are located in a semicircular space rather than in the whole circle (Salop's model) or the linear city (Hotelling's model), under the assumptions of both, convex and concave, transportation costs. The paper tries to generalize the results of the two previous models. We find that for concave transportation costs the existence of a price equilibrium is warranted for every firms' location when the length of the semicircular space is greater than 3/4. For the convex case, perfect equilibrium is only obtained when the size of the market segment is equivalent to Hotelling's linear model.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 30 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1986. "Minimal and maximal product differentiation in Hotelling's duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 67-71.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986. "On the Nature of Competition with Differentiated Products," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 160-72, March.
- Hamid Hamoudi & María J. Moral, 2005. "Equilibrium existence in the linear model: Concave versus convex transportation costs," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 201-219, 06.
- de Frutos, M. A. & Hamoudi, H. & Jarque, X., 2002. "Spatial competition with concave transport costs," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 531-540, July.
- Anderson, Simon P, 1988.
"Equilibrium Existence in the Linear Model of Spatial Competition,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 55(220), pages 479-91, November.
- Anderson, S., 1986. "Equilibrium existence in the linear model of spatial competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1986013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- de Frutos, M. A. & Hamoudi, H. & Jarque, X., 1999. "Equilibrium existence in the circle model with linear quadratic transport cost," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 605-615, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-07c70009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.