Quasi-linear peferences with Auspitz-Lieben-Pareto complementarity
I show that if preferences are quasi-linear (non-linear in goods x1, …, xn but linear in xn+1) and the sub-utility function defined over [x1, …, xn] is strongly concave and exhibits Auspitz-Lieben-Pareto complementarity, then goods x1-xn must be gross and compensated complements for each other and xn+1 must be a compensated substitute for all other goods. Also, an increase in its price of xn+1 must reduce the demand for goods x1-xn. The effects of uncompensated changes in the prices of goods x1-xn on the demand for good xn+1 vary predictably with income.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shi, Shou Yong, 1988. "Rothschild-Stiglitz competitive insurance market under quasilinear preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 27-30.
- Che, Yeon-Koo & Gale, Ian, 2000. "The Optimal Mechanism for Selling to a Budget-Constrained Buyer," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 198-233, June.
- Liebhafsky, H H, 1969. "New Thoughts About Inferior Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 931-34, December.
- Silberberg, Eugene, 1972. "Separability and Complementarity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 196-97, March.
- Boylan, Richard T., 1998. "Coalition-Proof Implementation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 132-143, September.
- Weymark, John A, 1987. "Comparative Static Properties of Optimal Nonlinear Income Taxes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1165-85, September.
- Chipman, John S., 1977. "An empirical implication of Auspitz-Lieben-Edgeworth-Pareto complementarity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 228-231, February.
- Weber, Christian E., 2000. "Two further empirical implications of Auspitz-Lieben-Edgeworth-Pareto complementarity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 289-295, June.
- Shi, Shou Yong, 1988. "Rational expectation equilibrium under quasilinear preferences : A diagrammatic approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 107-110.
- Christian E. Weber, 2005. "Edgeworth on Complementarity, or Edgeworth, Auspitz-Lieben, and Pareto De-Homogenized," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 293-307, Summer.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-04d10001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.