U. S. Demand For Different Types Of Imported And Domestic Investment Goods
Separate investment demand functions are developed and tested for (1) plant and equipment, (2) inventory, and (3) residential housing and compared for consistency with previous studies of total investment demand. U.S. 1960 - 2000 data are tested using 2SLS with heteroskedasticity controls. Data in first differences are used to reduce multicollinearity, non stationarity and autocorrelation. The models explain 90% of the variance in plant and equipment demand, 85% of housing demand and 67% of inventory demand. Plant, equipment and inventory investment appear driven by the accelerator effect, crowd out, depreciation, interest, and the exchange rate; residential construction by disposable income.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael C. Lovell, 1962. "Inventory Investment," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 131, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John J. Heim, 2008. "The Consumption Function," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0805, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Yungsan Kim & Woon Gyu Choi, 2001. "Has Inventory Investment Been Liquidity-Constrained? Evidence From U.S. Panel Data," IMF Working Papers 01/122, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:9:y:2009:i:2_9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.