Effizienz und Wettbewerb im deutschen Bankensektor
In this paper we review the main findings on competition and efficiency for the German banking sector. Our aim is to give a bird view of the evolution during the past 15 years. Previous studies on Germany point to a banking system dominated by monopolistic competition and moderate cost efficiency. Competition and efficiency seem to be positively related. Furthermore significant differences existed between small and large banks. The business model of small banks was often more traditional, they preferred less risk and they acted on more segmented regional markets. The current crisis may lead to deep changes of the banking system, potentially with consequences for competition and efficiency. In diesem Papier geben wir einen Überblick über den Wettbewerb und die Effizienz im deutschen Bankensektor. Wir nehmen dabei die Entwicklung in den letzten 15 Jahren in den Blick. Frühere Studien für Deutschland weisen darauf hin, dass das deutsche Bankensystem durch monopolistische Konkurrenz und durch moderat hohe Kosteneffizienz gekennzeichnet ist. Zudem scheinen Wettbewerb und Effizienz positiv miteinander verbunden. Des weiteren bestanden deutliche Unterschiede zwischen großen und kleinen Banken. Kleine Banken bevorzugten mehr das traditionelle Bankgeschäft, geringere Risiken und haben eher auf regional segmentierten Märk ten agiert. Die gegenwärtige Krise könnte zu tieferen Änderungen im Bankensystem führen, mit möglichen Folgen für Wettbewerb und Effizienz.
Volume (Year): 78 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boone, J., 2004.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
2004-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004.
"Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-80, June.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel & C. Kok-Sorensen, 2007.
"A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the Euro area,"
CPB Discussion Paper
84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok Sørensen, 2011. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(23), pages 3155-3167.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian & Kok, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0768, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sørensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Papers 0736, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Leuvensteijn, Michiel van & Bikker, Jacob A. & Rixtel, Adrian A.R.J.M. van & Kok-Sørensen, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," CEI Working Paper Series 2007-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," DNB Working Papers 143, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Joe S. Bain, 1951. "Relation of Profit Rate to Industry Concentration: American Manufacturing, 1936–1940," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 293-324.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2007. "The quality of banking and regional growth," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994.
"The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998. "The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994. "The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the "quiet life" and related hypotheses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Iwata, Gyoichi, 1974. "Measurement of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 947-66, September.
- Koetter, Michael & Karmann, Alexander & Fiorentino, Elisabetta, 2006. "The cost efficiency of German banks: a comparison of SFA and DEA," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Heid, Frank & Behr, Andreas, 2008.
"The success of bank mergers revisited: an assessment based on a matching strategy,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2008,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Behr, Andreas & Heid, Frank, 2011. "The success of bank mergers revisited. An assessment based on a matching strategy," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 117-135, January.
- Hempell, Hannah S., 2002. "Testing for Competition Among German Banks," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, March.
- Koetter, Michael & Poghosyan, Tigran, 2008. "The implications of latent technology regimes for competition and efficiency in banking," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2008,15, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Günter Lang, Peter Welzel, 1999.
"Mergers Among German Cooperative Banks. A Panel-based Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
Working Paper Series B
1999-03, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1999. "Mergers among German Cooperative Banks: A Panel-Based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 273-86, December.
- Michael Koetter, 2008. "An Assessment of Bank Merger Success in Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 232-264, 05.
- Jacob A. Bikker, 2004. "Competition and Efficiency in a Unified European Banking Market," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2830, June.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2008. "Does regional redistribution spur growth?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,28, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwvjh:78-1-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.