Urbanization, development and under-five mortality differentials by place of residence in São Paulo, Brazil, 1970-1991
In this paper, I examine differentials in under-five mortality for the state of São Paulo, Brazil, between urban and rural areas and by location within urban areas over a 21-year period between 1970 and 1991. I also investigate economic inequalities in under-five mortality for urban areas. During the period 1970-1991, much of the infant and child mortality transition unfolded in São Paulo. I investigate whether these improvements in mortality were accompanied by narrowing differentials by place of residence and declining economic inequalities in mortality. I draw on microdata from Brazilian censuses conducted in 1970, 1980, and 1991.
Volume (Year): 2 (2004)
Issue (Month): 14 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filmer, Deon*Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- Brockerhoff, Martin, 1995. "Child survival in big cities: The disadvantages of migrants," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1371-1383, May.
- Samuel H. Preston & Michael R. Haines, 1991. "Fatal Years: Child Mortality in Late Nineteenth-Century America," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number pres91-1, April.
- Defo, B.A., 1996. "Areal and Socioeconomic Differentials in Infant and Child Mortality in Cameroon," Papers 96-05, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Sastry, Narayan, 1997. "What explains rural-urban differentials in child mortality in Brazil?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 989-1002, April.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1991. "The Poor and the Social Sectors during a Period of Macroeconomic Adjustment: Empirical Evidence for Jamaica," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 291-313, May.
- Defo, Barthélémy Kuate, 1996. "Areal and socioeconomic differentials in infant and child mortality in Cameroon," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 399-420, February.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:drspec:v:2:y:2004:i:14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.