Urbanization, development and under-five mortality differentials by place of residence in São Paulo, Brazil, 1970-1991
In this paper, I examine differentials in under-five mortality for the state of São Paulo, Brazil, between urban and rural areas and by location within urban areas over a 21-year period between 1970 and 1991. I also investigate economic inequalities in under-five mortality for urban areas. During the period 1970-1991, much of the infant and child mortality transition unfolded in São Paulo. I investigate whether these improvements in mortality were accompanied by narrowing differentials by place of residence and declining economic inequalities in mortality. I draw on microdata from Brazilian censuses conducted in 1970, 1980, and 1991.
Volume (Year): 2 (2004)
Issue (Month): 14 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel H. Preston & Michael R. Haines, 1991. "Fatal Years: Child Mortality in Late Nineteenth-Century America," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number pres91-1.
- Defo, B.A., 1996. "Areal and Socioeconomic Differentials in Infant and Child Mortality in Cameroon," Papers 96-05, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- Sastry, Narayan, 1997. "What explains rural-urban differentials in child mortality in Brazil?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 989-1002, April.
- Brockerhoff, Martin, 1995. "Child survival in big cities: The disadvantages of migrants," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1371-1383, May.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1991. "The Poor and the Social Sectors during a Period of Macroeconomic Adjustment: Empirical Evidence for Jamaica," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 291-313, May.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
- Defo, Barthélémy Kuate, 1996. "Areal and socioeconomic differentials in infant and child mortality in Cameroon," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 399-420, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:drspec:v:2:y:2004:i:14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Office)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.