International trade, migration and investment with horizontal product differentiation and free entry and exit of firms
This paper builds a circular road model of the world with horizontal product differentiation and free entry and exit of firms, to show that freer international trade increases welfare -with ideal variety preferences- through the exploitation of economies of scale and better allocative efficiency, that all participating countries gain from trade, and that smaller countries have more to win from free trade than larger countries. Political resistance to trade liberalization, international migration and foreign direct investment are also analyzed with the model. Finally, the model provides a microfoundation for the use of demand curves with constant and negative slopes.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lipsey, Richard G, 1975.
"The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Reconsidered: Some New Developments in the Theory of Spatial Competition,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 27-49, January.
- B.Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1972. "The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Reconsidered: Some New Developments in the Theory of Spatial Competition," Working Papers 87, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt, Nicolas, 1995. "Product Imitation, Product Differentiation and International Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 583-608, August.
- Boccard, N. & Wauthy, Xavier, 1997.
"Export Restraints and Horizontal Product Differentiation,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1997024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Sep 1997.
- BOCCARD, Nicolas & WAUTHY, Xavier, 1997. "Export restraints and horizontal product differentiation," CORE Discussion Papers 1997082, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luís M. B. Cabral, 2000. "Introduction to Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262032864, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000151:004252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Villalobos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.