Internationalization of NGOs and Competition on Markets for Development Donations
What are the effects of the integration of markets for private donations for development on NGOs’ performance? How is the welfare of donors and beneficiaries affected? To answer these questions, we build a model of a market for development donations with horizontally differentiated NGOs competing by fundraising effort. We compare three regimes: autarky, full integration, and the regime of multinational NGOs (in which NGOs have to establish foreign affiliates to raise funds abroad). The welfare impact of market integration depends on the interplay between three factors: returns to scale in the NGO production technology, donors’ "taste for variety", and the effectiveness of aggregate fundraising in motivating new donors.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- PESTIEAU, Pierre & SATO, Motohiro, 2006. "Limiting the number of charities," CORE Discussion Papers 2006074, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rose-Ackerman, Susan, 1982. "Charitable Giving and "Excessive" Fundraising," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 193-212, May.
- James Andreoni & A. Abigail Payne, 2003. "Do Government Grants to Private Charities Crowd Out Giving or Fund-raising?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 792-812, June.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Anna Fruttero & Varun Gauri, 2005. "The Strategic Choices of NGOs: Location Decisions in Rural Bangladesh," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 759-787.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6511. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.