Chapter 2: The European Balance-of-Payments Problem
There are differing views on the causes of, and cures for, this crisis. At one end of the spectrum, some ultimately see it as a public debt crisis and advocate the strengthening of political constraints on government borrowing. Others primarily regard it as a confidence crisis, which should be addressed by setting up a very large rescue fund, i.e. by wielding a â€˜big bazookaâ€™. They count on the fact that, if the crisis is truly expectation-driven, the resources will never have to be used. This chapter begins by reconsidering these and other views, and later stresses the structural reasons for the crisis, particularly the loss of competitiveness on the part of some euro area countries and the resulting surge in private and public foreign indebtedness. The chapter closes with some policy conclusions and recommendations.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Homburg, 2012. "Notes on the Target2 Dispute," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(SPECIALIS), pages 50-54, 02.
- Michael Reutter & Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000.
"The Minimum Inflation Rate for Euroland,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
377, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Michael Reutter, 2001. "The Minimum Inflation Rate for Euroland," NBER Working Papers 8085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerlinde Sinn & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1994. "Jumpstart: The Economic Unification of Germany," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691728, January.
- Buiter,Willem H. & Corsetti,Giancarlo & Pesenti,Paolo A., 2001. "Financial Markets and European Monetary Cooperation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521794404, March.
- Buiter,Willem H. & Corsetti,Giancarlo & Pesenti,Paolo A., 1998. "Financial Markets and European Monetary Cooperation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521495479, March.
- Harold L. Cole & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2000. "Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(1), pages 91-116.
- Harold L. Cole & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1998. "Self-Fulfilling Debt Crises," Levine's Working Paper Archive 114, David K. Levine.
- Harold L. Cole & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1998. "Self-fulfilling debt crises," Staff Report 211, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2012. "Greece: The Sudden Stop That Wasnâ€™t," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(SPECIALIS), pages 102-103, 02.
- Hans-Wener Sinn & Teresa Buchen & Timo Wollmershauser, 2011. "Trade Imbalances: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Measures," Book Chapters,in: Jack T. Boorman & André Icard (ed.), Reform of the International Monetary System: The Palais Royal Initiative, chapter 26, pages 321-342 Emerging Markets Forum.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Robert Koll, 2000. "The Euro, Interest Rates and European Economic Growth," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 1(3), pages 30-31, October.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo WollmershÃ¤user, 2011. "Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECBâ€™s Rescue Facility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3500, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2010. "Rescuing Europe," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(SPECIALIS), pages 1-22, 08. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:eeagre:v::y:2012:i::p:57-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.