Pauvreté, crime et croissance en Colombie : disparités régionales
This article entails a two-stage empirical study of the relationships between poverty, criminality and economic growth, on the basis of literature and statistical analysis, from departmental data covering the 1981-1998 period. Privations suffered by the population and reduced opportunity costs resulting from low budgetary provisions favour criminality, which in turn has negative repercussions on the saving-investment process. The results obtained suggest that despite the development of drug trafficking, the risks of increasing poverty and the loss of growth would have been higher if Columbia had not experienced a parallel economic and social progress. The results also bring to light the importance of political goodwill in improving growth.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart, Douglas B & Venieris, Yiannis P, 1985. "Sociopolitical Instability and the Behavior of Savings in Less-Developed Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 557-563, November.
- Armando Montenegro & Carlos Esteban Posada, 1995.
"Criminalidad en Colombia,"
- Carlos Esteban Posada & Armando Montenegro, 1994. "Criminalidad En Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002239, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Armando Montenegro & Carlos Esteban Posada, 1994. "Criminalidad en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 004, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mauricio Rubio, 1995. "Crimen y crecimiento en Colombia," COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA, FEDESARROLLO, March.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Duflo, Esther, 2003. "Inequality and Growth: What Can the Data Say?," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 267-299, September.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2000. "Inequality and Growth: What Can the Data Say?," NBER Working Papers 7793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, Enero.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, January.
- Mauricio CARDENAS SANTAMARIA, 2002. "Economic growth in Colombia: A reversal of Fortune," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002402, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-959, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Armando Montenegro & Carlos E. Posada & Gabriel Piraquive, 2000. "Violencia, criminalidad y justicia: otra mirada desde la economía," COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA, FEDESARROLLO, June.
- Alesina, Alberto & Özler, Sule & Roubini, Nouriel & Swagel, Phillip, 1996. "Political Instability and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 189-211, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Sule Ozler & Nouriel Roubini & Phillip Swagel, 1992. "Political Instability and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 4173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Swagel, Phillip & Ozler, Sule & Alesina, Alberto, 1996. "Political Instability and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4553024, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Rocha & Alejandro Vivas, 1998. "Crecimiento regional en Colombia: ¿Persiste la desigualdad?," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:rtmarc:rtm_176_0803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.