La « contre-performance » de l'Europe continentale. Le lien entre institutions, dynamisme et prospérité économique
While most continental European economies have exhibit deceiving outcomes for two decades, it seems necessary – and it reveals fruitful – to elaborate an « institutional hypothesis » to understand this failure. Our central reasoning is the following : it is in the absence or the muffling of economic institutions able to generate « dynamism » that one must search for the explanation of the economic underperformance in continental Europe. After having carefully defined the idea of « economic performance » and the concept of « dynamism », we study in details the respective institutional advantages of the capitalist and corporatist systems, drawing on a number of theoretical approaches aimed at best identifying their strengths and weaknesses regarding the crucial issue of innovation process. Finally, we propose a first series of empirical tests for our theoretical intuition, that, while only preliminary, prove positive. JEL Codes : N23, N24, N13, N14, 031, 033, P17, P51.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roe, Mark J, 2002. "Corporate Law's Limits," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(2), pages 233-71, June.
- Fitoussi, J-P & Jestaz, D. & Phelps, E.S. & Zoega, G., 2000.
"Roots of the Recent Recoveries : Labor Reforms or Private-Sector Forces ?,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2000-04, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & David Jestaz & Edmund S. Phelps & Gylfi Zoega, 2000. "Roots of the Recent Recoveries: Labor Reforms or Private Sector Forces?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 237-311.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & David Jestaz & Edmund S Phelps & Gylfi Zoega, 2000. "Roots of the Recent Recoveries: Labor Reforms or Private Sector Forces?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/5571, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & David Jestaz & Edmund S Phelps & Gylfi Zoega, 2000. "Roots of the Recent Recoveries: Labor Reforms or Private Sector Forces?," Post-Print hal-01011185, HAL.
- Hoon, Hian Teck & Phelps, Edmund S., 1997. "Growth, wealth and the natural rate: Is Europe's jobs crisis a growth crisis?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 549-557, April.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen, 1986. "Unemployment in Britain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S121-69, Supplemen.
- Dean Baker & Andrew Glyn & David Howell & John Schmitt, 2002.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence,"
SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization.
2002-17, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Andrew Glyn, 2003. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 168, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- E. S. Phelps, 1966.
"Models of Technical Progress and the Golden Rule of Research,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 133-145.
- Edmond S. Phelps, 1964. "Models of Technical Progress and the Golden Rule of Research," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 176, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- David H. Papell & Christian J. Murray & Hala Ghiblawi, 2000. "The Structure of Unemployment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 309-315, May.
- Martin Neil Baily & Robert M. Solow, 2001. "International Productivity Comparisons Built from the Firm Level," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 151-172, Summer.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/5571 is not listed on IDEAS
- Phelps, Edmund S & Zoega, Gylfi, 1998. "Natural-Rate Theory and OECD Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 782-801, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_092_0009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.