A Bayesian approach for capturing daily heterogeneity in intra-daily durations time series
Intra-daily financial durations time series typically exhibit evidence of long range dependence. This has motivated the introduction of models able to reproduce this stylized fact, like the Fractionally Integrated Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model. In this work we introduce a novel specification able to capture long range dependence. We propose a three component model that consists of an autoregressive daily random effect, a semiparametric time-of-day effect and an intra-daily dynamic component: the Mixed Autoregressive Conditional Duration (Mixed ACD) Model. The random effect component allows for heterogeneity in mean reversal within a day and captures low frequency dynamics in the duration time series. The joint estimation of the model parameters is carried out using MCMC techniques based on the Bayesian formulation of the model. The empirical application to a set of widely traded US tickers shows that the model is able to capture low frequency dependence in duration time series. We also find that the degree of dependence and dispersion of low frequency dynamics is higher in periods of higher financial distress.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Michael Yuanjie & Russell, Jeffrey R. & Tsay, Ruey S., 2001. "A nonlinear autoregressive conditional duration model with applications to financial transaction data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 179-207, August.
- Maria Pacurar, 2008. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration Models In Finance: A Survey Of The Theoretical And Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 711-751, 09.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2000.
"The Logarithmic ACD Model: An Application to the Bid-Ask Quote Process of Three NYSE Stocks,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 60, pages 117-149.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, "undated". "The logarithmic ACD model: an application to the bid-ask quote process of three NYSE stocks," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1497, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian T. Brownlees & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2009.
"Intra-daily Volume Modeling and Prediction for Algorithmic Trading,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2009_01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Christian T. Brownlees & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2011. "Intra-daily Volume Modeling and Prediction for Algorithmic Trading," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(3), pages 489-518, Summer.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:17:y:2013:i:1:p:21-46:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.