2010 Lewis Fry Richardson Lifetime Achievement Award: Ron P. Smith and the Economics of War and Peace
Ron P. Smith is the winner of the 2010 Lewis Fry Richardson Lifetime Achievement Award, which honours exemplary scholarly contributions to the scientific study of militarized conflict by researchers based in Europe for most of their career. This essay summarizes Smith’s scholarly achievements. Smith’s research shows how economic analysis can be helpful to analyse peace and security issues, very much in the spirit of Richardson’s efforts to use scientific methods to study war and peace.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/peps|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ron Smith & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2000. "The Prisoner's Dilemma and Regime-Switching in the Greek-Turkish Arms Race," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 37(6), pages 737-750, November.
- Paul Dunne & Maria del Carmen Garcia-Alonso & Paul Levine & Ron Smith, 2007. "Determining The Defence Industrial Base," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 199-221.
- Stephane Dees & M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Ron P. Smith, 2009.
"Identification of New Keynesian Phillips Curves from a Global Perspective,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(7), pages 1481-1502, October.
- Stephane Dees & M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Ron P. Smith, 2008. "Identification of New Keynesian Phillips Curves from a Global Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 2219, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dées, Stéphane & Pesaran, Hashem & Smith, Vanessa & Smith, Ron P., 2008. "Identification of new Keynesian Phillips Curves from a global perspective," Working Paper Series 892, European Central Bank.
- Dees, S. & Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, L.V. & Smith, R.P., 2008. "Identification of New Keynesian Phillips Curves from a Global Perspective," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0803, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Dees, Stephane & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, L. Vanessa & Smith, Ron P., 2008. "Identification of New Keynesian Phillips Curves from a Global Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 3298, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul Levine & Ron Smith, 2000. "Arms Export Controls and Proliferation," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 44(6), pages 885-895, December.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Smith, R P, 1989. "Models of Military Expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(4), pages 345-359, Oct.-Dec..
- Smith, R P, 1980. "The Demand for Military Expenditure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(363), pages 811-820, December.
- J. Paul Dunne & María D.C. García-Alonso & Paul Levine & Ron P. Smith, 2006. "Managing asymmetric conflict," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 183-208, April.
- Paul Dunne & Maria del Carmen Garcia-Alonso & Paul Levine Author Name: Ron Smith, 2004. "Managing Asymmetric Conflict," Studies in Economics 0411, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- J. Paul Dunne & Ron Smith & Dirk Willenbockel, 2005. "Models Of Military Expenditure And Growth: A Critical Review," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(6), pages 449-461.
- J Paul Dunne & Ron Smith & Dirk Willenbockel, 2004. "Models of Military Expenditure and Growth: A Critical Review," Working Papers 0408, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Levine, Paul & Smith, Ron, 1997. "The arms trade and the stability of regional arms races," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 631-654.
- Dunne J. Paul & Nikolaidou Eftychia & Smith Ron P., 2005. "Is there an Arms Race between Greece and Turkey?," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-37, November.
- Smith, Ronald P., 1980. "Military expenditure and investment in OECD countries, 1954-1973," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 19-32, March.
- Smith, R P, 1987. "The Demand for Military Expenditure: A Correction," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 989-990, December.
- Ron Smith, 2001. "The International Arms Industry Since the End of the Cold War," World Economics, World Economics, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 2(3), pages 155-166, July.
- Levine, Paul & Smith, Ron, 1995. "The Arms Trade and Arms Control," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 471-484, March.
- Stefan Szymanski & Ron Smith, 1997. "The English Football Industry: profit, performance and industrial structure," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 135-153.
- Smith, Ron P. & Tasiran, Ali, 2010. "Random coefficients models of arms imports," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1522-1528, November.
- Smith, R P, 1977. "Military Expenditure and Capitalism," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 61-76, March.
- Lucrezia Reichlin, 1997. "The arms trade: discussion," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10205, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dunne, J P & Smith, R P, 1984. "The Economic Consequences of Reduced UK Military Expenditure," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 297-310, September.
- Paul Levine & Ron Smith, 1997. "The arms trade: winners and losers," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(25), pages 335-370, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:pepspp:v:17:y:2011:i:1:n:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.