Detection of Additive Outliers in Seasonal Time Series
The detection and location of additive outliers in integrated variables has attracted much attention recently because such outliers tend to affect unit root inference among other things. Most of these procedures have been developed for non-seasonal processes. However, the presence of seasonality in the form of seasonally varying means and variances affect the properties of outlier detection procedures, and hence appropriate adjustments of existing methods are needed for seasonal data. In this paper we suggest modifications of tests proposed by Shin, Sarkar and Lee (1996) and Perron and Rodriguez (2003) to deal with data sampled at a seasonal frequency and we discuss their size and power properties. We also show that the presence of periodic heteroscedasticity will inflate the size of the tests and hence will tend to identify an excessive number of outliers. A modified Perron-Rodriguez test which allows periodically varying variances is suggested, and it is shown to have excellent properties in terms of both power and size.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jtse|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burridge, P. & Taylor, A.M.R., 1999.
"On Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Periodic Heteroscedasticity,"
99-10, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2001. "On regression-based tests for seasonal unit roots in the presence of periodic heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 91-117, August.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-78, October.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005.
"Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, . "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," Economics Working Papers 2000-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000. "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. "Periodicity and Stochastic Trends in Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774549, March.
- Niels Haldrup & Andreu Sansó, 2006.
"A Note on the Vogelsang Test for Additive Outliers,"
Economics Working Papers
2006-01, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels & Sansó, Andreu, 2008. "A note on the Vogelsang test for additive outliers," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 296-300, February.
- Perron, Pierre & Ng, Serena, 1996.
"Useful Modifications to Some Unit Root Tests with Dependent Errors and Their Local Asymptotic Properties,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(3), pages 435-63, July.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1994. "Useful Modifications to Some Unit Root Tests with Dependent Errors and Their Local Asymptotic Properties," Cahiers de recherche 9427, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1994. "Useful Modifications to Some Unit Root Tests with Dependent Errors and Their Local Asymptotic Properties," Cahiers de recherche 9427, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Tom Doan, . "PERRONNGMTESTS: RATS procedure to compute various Perron-Ng "M" unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00155, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Shin, Dong Wan & Sarkar, Sahadeb & Lee, Jong Hyup, 1996. "Unit root tests for time series with outliers," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 189-197, October.
- Pierre Perron & Gabriel RodrÌguez, 2003.
"Searching For Additive Outliers In Nonstationary Time Series,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 193-220, 03.
- Perron, P. & Rodriguez, G., 2000. "Seraching for Additive Outliers in Nonstationary Time Series," Working Papers 0005e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:jtsmet:v:3:y:2011:i:2:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.