A Note on the Vogelsang Test for Additive Outliers
The role of additive outliers in integrated time series has attracted some attention recently and research shows that outlier detection should be an integral part of unit root testing procedures. Recently, Vogelsang (1999) suggested an iterative procedure for the detection of multiple additive outliers in integrated time series. However, the procedure appears to suffr from serious size distortions towards the finding of too many outliers as has been shown by Perron and Rodriguez (2003). In this note we prove the inconsistency of the test in each step of the iterative procedure and hence alternative routes need to be taken to detect outliers in nonstationary time series.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Perron & Gabriel RodrÌguez, 2003.
"Searching For Additive Outliers In Nonstationary Time Series,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 193-220, 03.
- Perron, P. & Rodriguez, G., 2000. "Seraching for Additive Outliers in Nonstationary Time Series," Working Papers 0005e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2004. "Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series," Economics Working Papers 2004-14, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2005. "Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series," DEA Working Papers 15, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, "undated". "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," Economics Working Papers 2000-8, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000. "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-478, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)