A Note on the Vogelsang Test for Additive Outliers
The role of additive outliers in integrated time series has attracted some attention recently and research shows that outlier detection should be an integral part of unit root testing procedures. Recently, Vogelsang (1999) suggested an iterative procedure for the detection of multiple additive outliers in integrated time series. However, the procedure appears to suffr from serious size distortions towards the finding of too many outliers as has been shown by Perron and Rodriguez (2003). In this note we prove the inconsistency of the test in each step of the iterative procedure and hence alternative routes need to be taken to detect outliers in nonstationary time series.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2004.
"Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2005. "Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series," DEA Working Papers 15, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Perron, P. & Rodriguez, G., 2000.
"Seraching for Additive Outliers in Nonstationary Time Series,"
0005e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Pierre Perron & Gabriel RodrÌguez, 2003. "Searching For Additive Outliers In Nonstationary Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 193-220, 03.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-78, October.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, .
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
Economics Working Papers
2000-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000. "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:aarhec:2006-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.