Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series
The detection of additive outliers in integrated variables has attracted some attention recently, see e.g. Shin et al. (1996), Vogelsang (1999) and Perron and Rodriguez (2003). This paper serves several purposes. We prove the inconsistency of the test proposed by Vogelsang, we extend the tests proposed by Shin et al. and Perron and Rodriguez to the seasonal case, and we consider alternative ways of computing their tests. We also study the effects of periodically varying variances on the previous tests and demonstrate that these can be seriously size distorted. Subsequently, some new tests that allow for periodic heteroskedasticity are proposed.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edificio Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos, Crta. de Valldemossa km 7,5, Palma 07122 (BALEARS)|
Web page: http://www.uib.es/depart/deaweb/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. "Periodicity and Stochastic Trends in Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774549, December.
- Burridge, P. & Taylor, A.M.R., 1999.
"On Regression-Based Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots in the Presence of Periodic Heteroscedasticity,"
99-10, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Burridge, Peter & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2001. "On regression-based tests for seasonal unit roots in the presence of periodic heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 91-117, August.
- Pierre Perron & Gabriel RodrÌguez, 2003.
"Searching For Additive Outliers In Nonstationary Time Series,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 193-220, 03.
- Perron, P. & Rodriguez, G., 2000. "Seraching for Additive Outliers in Nonstationary Time Series," Working Papers 0005e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, "undated".
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
Economics Working Papers
2000-8, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000. "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2004. "Periodic Time Series Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199242030, December.
- Shin, Dong Wan & Sarkar, Sahadeb & Lee, Jong Hyup, 1996. "Unit root tests for time series with outliers," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 189-197, October.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-478, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubi:deawps:15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xisco Oliver)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.