A Statistical Analysis of NFL Quarterback Rating Variables
Using data from NFL seasons 1960-2007, we examine the quarterback rating and the four variables of which it consists: average yards per attempt, completion percentage, interception percentage, and touchdown percentage. We test for structural breaks in the means and standard deviations of each variable. The analysis finds evidence that there are structural breaks in the series likely associated with rule changes designed to promote the passing game and the implementation of the salary cap. The break test results as a whole suggest that comparisons of quarterbacks from different regimes are inappropriate unless the regime differences are taken into account. There appears to have been a simultaneous improvement in quarterback performance and reduction in volatility suggestive of the idea that the relative difference between above average and average quarterbacks has been reduced. Using graph theory and the information gleamed from structural break tests, we examine the causal relationships among the four quarterback rating variables over the most recent stable period, which is 2000-2007. The causal analysis shows that completion percentage is commonly caused by interception percentage and average yards per attempt over the course of a season. Also, touchdown percentage causes average yards per attempt. We suggest possible explanations of the findings and suggest avenues for future research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jqas|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoover, Kevin D & Sheffrin, Steven M, 1992.
"Causation, Spending, and Taxes: Sand in the Sandbox or Tax Collector for the Welfare State?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 225-248, March.
- Kevin D. Hoover & Steven M. Sheffrin, 1990. "Causation, spending and taxes: sand in the sandbox or tax collector for the welfare state?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Hoover, K.D. & Sheffrin, S.M., 1990. "Causation, Spending And Taxes: Sand In The Sandbox Or Tax Collector For The Welfare State," Papers 67, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Selva Demiralp & Kevin D. Hoover, 2003. "Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(s1), pages 745-767, December.
- Kevin Hoover & Selva Demiralp, 2003. "Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression," Working Papers 33, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Hoover, Kevin D & Siegler, Mark V, 2000. "Taxing and Spending in the Long View: The Causal Structure of US Fiscal Policy, 1791-1913," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 745-773, October.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-856, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hoover, Kevin D., 2003. "Some causal lessons from macroeconomics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 121-125, January.
- Prodan, Ruxandra, 2008. "Potential Pitfalls in Determining Multiple Structural Changes With an Application to Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 50-65, January.
- Ruxandra Prodan, 2004. "Potential Pitfalls in Determining Multiple Structural Changes with an Application to Purchasing Power Parity," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 90, Econometric Society.
- Hoover, Kevin D., 2005. "Automatic Inference Of The Contemporaneous Causal Order Of A System Of Equations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 69-77, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)