The Closed-Loop Effects Of Market Integration In A Dynamic Duopoly
This paper develops a dynamic game model of reciprocal dumping to reconsider welfare effects of market integration, i.e. reductions in transport costs. We show that welfare under trade is unambiguously less than welfare under autarky for any level of transport costs, which is impossible in static models where trade is profitable if the transport cost is low enough. This is because the negative effect through closed-loop property of feedback strategies dominates the positive effects. Copyright 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd/University of Adelaide and Flinders University.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-900X|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0004-900X|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takumi Naito & Laixun Zhao, 2008.
"Aging, transitional dynamics, and gains from trade,"
Discussion Paper Series
215, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Naito, Takumi & Zhao, Laixun, 2009. "Aging, transitional dynamics, and gains from trade," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1531-1542, August.
- Shy, Oz, 1988. "A general equilibrium model of pareto inferior trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 143-154, August.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 1996.
"Gains from Trade in a Cournot-Nash General Equibrium,"
Discussion Paper Series
66, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Jan 1998.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2001. "Gains From Trade in a Cournot-Nash General Equilibrium," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 52(3), pages 284-302.
- Kemp, Murray C & Wong, Kar-yiu, 1995.
"Gains from Trade with Overlapping Generations,"
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 283-303, July.
- Kemp, M.C. & Wong, K.Y., 1992. "Gains from Trade with Overlapping Generations," Working Papers 92-06, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Kemp, M.C. & Wong, K.Y., 1992. "Gains from Trade with Overlapping Generations," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 92-06, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Kemp, M.C. & Wong, K-Y., 1990.
"The Gains Form Trade When Markets Are Incomplete,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
90-08, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Brander, James A., 1981.
"Intra-industry trade in identical commodities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.
- David M. G. Newbery & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1984. "Pareto Inferior Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 1-12.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1995. "The Role of Free Entry in an Oligopolistic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 609-24, August.
- Cordella, Tito, 1998.
"Patterns of Trade and Oligopoly Equilibria: An Example,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 554-63, November.
- CORDELLA, Tito, 1992. "Patterns of trade and oligopoly equilibria: an example," CORE Discussion Papers 1992051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kemp, Murray C & Long, Ngo Van, 1979. "The Under- Exploitation of Natural Resources: A Model with Overlapping Generations," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 55(150), pages 214-21, September.
- Markusen, James R., 1981. "Trade and the gains from trade with imperfect competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 531-551, November.
- Benchekroun, Hassan, 2003. "Unilateral production restrictions in a dynamic duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 214-239, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ausecp:v:49:y:2010:i:1:p:1-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.